 Administrative / General / 13996
Re: Change in LUGNET news appearance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 18 Dec 2007 18:19:38 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Geoff Gray wrote:
I hate to start in on this thread because I know it will become political, but I
have to question doing this FOR ONE SIMPLE REASON.  I was browsing (not logged
in because after six attempts over the last few years to get my account reset so
I can log in I have given up on ever getting my account to work again) through
the set list to look up a particular model. When I got to the page with the
model info, I got a popup ad. That did not bother me. The content of the ad DID
BOTHER ME. It was for a TV show or website called ADULT SWIM. Sorry, but we do
not need to be sending kids to our site (we often advertise the LUGNET site at
shows, conventions, etc) and then having them exposed to this type of
advertising. If you plan on using Google, or any other ad referral company,
please make sure that they can GUARANTEE only family friendly advertising. If
they cannot, I'd strongly suggest not advertising with them.

Geoff,

you are right, this is way beyond our intention. First of all, I chose Google
AdSense Ads for the simple reason that they do not usually send popup ads to
pages. If anyone observes this behavior frequently, I will need to flag this
with Google as popup ads are NOT what we want in the first place.

Then, Google has very strict limitations as to where you may place their ads and
where you shouldn't. Consequently, I would not want to see adult content ads on
a clearly non-age-restricted website. If you observe any of these ads, please
provide me with a link or a screenshot as I will then either take this up with
Google or - if no other resolution is found - will prohibit ads for this
particular LUGNET page.

Ads are chosen to match the content of the page they are called from - it may
well be that the content contains keywords that trigger the aforementioned
unwanted ad. If that is the case, I need to work on it.

As for the concept, I have no problem with Lugnet doing what it must to stay
afloat, as long as it is in the best interest of the spirit of the community and
addresses a real need.

Optimization is still not finished, I regard the current advertising concept as
strictly beta. The target is to optimize ads to the point that they are at least
90% LEGO- or generally building-toy-related. That will ensure the community get
what they are potentially looking for, the advertisers get real value for their
money and nobody has to worry. I didn't expect the road to get there to be too
smooth, but I also didn't expect the pothole you flagged here.

Please provide me with all useful finds to get this issue resolved.

Thanks,

Jerry