 Ambassadors / 220
Re: LEGO Ambassadors Status Report - Summer 2007
Newsgroups:
lugnet.ambassadors
Date:
Wed, 1 Aug 2007 22:41:20 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.ambassadors, Allister McLaren wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, Allister McLaren wrote:
   They all seem pretty quiet to me, with perhaps one exception.

I can’t speak to what appears to you - but Mark Sandlin, Chris Giddens, Dan Rubin, Adrian Drake, Felix Greco, Peter Reid, and Nelson Yrizarry have all been active and accessible.

They may be very active ‘in their communities’ posting regularly to one forum isn’t exactly fitting your definition of ‘wide’ access.

Your charge was that all the Ambassadors are quiet. They are not quiet.

And to clarify what I meant by “wide” - what I do not mean is that Ambassadors should visit sites that they would never had visited in the first place. For example: as much as I know that BZPower needs representation, I cannot be that person. I do not know Bionicle, I do not understand Bionicle fans. Likewise with Trains or Mosaics or LEGO fans from Uzbekistan.

What I mean is that any site I do visit, I should, as an Ambassador, remain as active as I can be. When I was an Ambassador, I felt that I represented Space and Castle, but also the Minifig Customization Network. Before becoming an Ambassador, I visited MCN from time to time and enjoyed their creations. After being chosen, I made sure that I showed up on MCN, I participated, and I formed relationships with the most active members at MCN. If possible, I reported from TLG directly to MCN and more often, I told TLG about MCN (mentioned them at meetings, showed their creations, praised them, etc). My hope was that MCN members felt they could contact me when needed to make their feelings known, and knew that I would treat those concerns seriously, and raise them to the Ambassadors, to Steve Witt, and to whoever else I could.

Not everyone can represent more than one community, nor should everyone represent more than one. The ideal is that every single fan is within one or two degrees of an Ambassador. Whether that is the case right now, I cannot say, but I know that Steve Witt and Tormud (and Jorgen Vig) are working to improve the program slowly but surely.

It should be noted that this is how I saw the program, and I do not speak for the Ambassadors, for Steve Witt, for TLG, or for anyone else. When I was made an Ambassador, I took it seriously, and this was the responsibility I took on and tried to follow through with. Everyone sees it differently and everyone should - the key part of this experiment is how we talk about these issues in an effort to improve.

   Partly, I know how difficult it is to give out lots of info on a regular basis - but these guys are active in their communities and available to speak one-on-one with if you are also active in those communities. There are a few other people I know fairly well who I assume would stay active, but I don’t know for sure.

I would hope your friends (I presume they’re your friends), Richie Dulin and Ross Crawford, are active in their forums. If they aren’t, I’d suggest you contact them and ask them to step down so someone more willing to do the work can take over instead.

I did mention one notable exception, did I not?

If anyone is doing their job, it must be Nelson. I assumed that is who you meant by your “one notable exception.” I guess maybe saying “one” could be interpretted as “one and only one” - to which I presented a list of many people who are active in their communities. I suppose if you included your friends in that list, you’d have said “three notable exceptions.”

   Thirdly, it suddenly appears to me that I didn’t have the go ahead to give information like Nathan Wells being involved. So me saying anything could very well be out-of-line.

The point is, where’s the harm in divulging that information at the time it happened? ie. when Nathan was chosen for the project. I don’t argue with the need for secrecy, I just think there’s perhaps more than is really necessary.

Well - there are a few issues: First, that such a project existed was a secret (eg, that TLG is working on revamping their castle line, ergo other companies should start trying to figure it out and thus steal TLG’s thunder). Two, saying that people are working on secret projects just raises tantalizing questions that have to be ignored (it is no fun being on the outside, and such an announcement would be making everyone on the outside). Third, if such a project comes to naught, or is put on the back burner for a while, it.. well, thats kinda lame. I think it is better to announce a big suprise that is going to happen and soon. Saying, “Hey I’m working on something that may or may not ever happen at some indiscriminate time in the future” feels false. Maybe it would help give an impression that I’m actually doing something, but that’ll wear off when the fruits of that project are 3 years in the future.

Regarding the amount of secrecy - elsewhere in this thread there has been the charge that there has been no reported theft of information by MegaBloks (or whoever else) from TLG. During my time hanging out with TLG employees, I have heard three or four anecdotes about specifically MB. Specifically, TLG employees taking marketing strategies, etc and then quitting their jobs suddenly and getting a new job at MB. Clearly, they were promised a job based on the information they could provide from their old job. It happens and there isn’t much TLG can do to stop it.

Whether these anecdotes are true is not immediately important: they express a common feeling within TLG that information needs to be protected or else it will make it into the hands of the “enemy.” TLG’s secrecy is to satisfy their need for security - that they feel secure.

I can tell you that the first time an Ambassador leaks something big it will be the last. From TLG’s point of view, Ambassadors are a risk and if that risk costs them, it won’t be any problem to shut the program down. Whether you like the program or not, whether it is perfect or not, the Ambassador program is better than nothing at all.

-Lenny