 Ambassadors / 130
Re: LEGO Ambassadors Status Report - Summer 2007
Newsgroups:
lugnet.ambassadors
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:42:38 GMT

In lugnet.ambassadors, David Eaton wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, Richie Dulin wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, Allister McLaren wrote:
   That surely doesn’t apply to the ‘Issues List’ though. I for one would like to see what was on that list, and why.

What’s on the list? The standard range of complaints that you read about on this or other fora: complaints about colour and quality, piece and set design, themes, gender bias/availability, leaks, availability and pricing and so on.

Why? Because they’re fan concerns.

Just a point here. I think this is part of why the Ambassadors got that “Unbassador” logo that I’m sure everyone has seen floating around. Here’s a perfect example of something that you could have shared with the community, but didn’t and haven’t. Please do. The report that you shared doesn’t have any real news or content-- it’s essentially a re-worded description of what Ambassadors do (apart from the new server thing). We already know that you report fan complaints and feedback, we already know that you review upcoming products, we already know that you suggest new products, we already know you go to events.

I’d recommend giving the fan community some substance, so we FEEL like we’re involved. I realize that it probably doesn’t actually accomplish anything. You probably ARE aware of all the major fan issues without having to solicit more input. And telling us what problems we told you about similarly doesn’t tell us anything new. But what it DOES do is makes the community feel like you’re ambassadors. It makes the community feel included.

Don’t get me wrong, though. It’s not like I think that the Ambassadors do nothing. But I still think the Ambassador program is inappropriately named. Given most of what we’ve seen from the Ambassadors I would call it a focus group, or a market research group. You *do* do a lot, I know, and the majority of things you do has to be kept secret. But when it *doesn’t* have be kept secret, please, tell us in spades. And when you’re asked for community feedback, ask us. Make the community feel like it’s part of the process.

DaveE

While I agree and reiterate Dave’s points, I think that LEGO sees the ambassador program a bit differently. They are not LEGO employees assigned as ambassadors to the AFOL community. I believe LEGO sees them as AFOL members assigned as ambassadors to the LEGO company. Which is fuel for my argument that the community should have a say in who we send as ambassadors to LEGO. (Not that I’ve been disappointed in any of the choices so far).

Perhaps something the current set of ambassadors could recommend is better communication the other direction. I have seen much less from Steve Witt than we got from Jake McKee. I don’t think most of us are looking for secret product info, but two-way conversations keep both parties invested.

Aaron