 Ambassadors / 167
Re: LEGO Ambassadors Status Report - Summer 2007
Newsgroups:
lugnet.ambassadors
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2007 23:15:56 GMT

In lugnet.ambassadors, Leonard Hoffman wrote:
   In lugnet.ambassadors, Allister McLaren wrote:
   They all seem pretty quiet to me, with perhaps one exception.

I can’t speak to what appears to you - but Mark Sandlin, Chris Giddens, Dan Rubin, Adrian Drake, Felix Greco, Peter Reid, and Nelson Yrizarry have all been active and accessible.

They may be very active ‘in their communities’ posting regularly to one forum isn’t exactly fitting your definition of ‘wide’ access.

   Partly, I know how difficult it is to give out lots of info on a regular basis - but these guys are active in their communities and available to speak one-on-one with if you are also active in those communities. There are a few other people I know fairly well who I assume would stay active, but I don’t know for sure.

I would hope your friends (I presume they’re your friends), Richie Dulin and Ross Crawford, are active in their forums. If they aren’t, I’d suggest you contact them and ask them to step down so someone more willing to do the work can take over instead.

I did mention one notable exception, did I not?

   A second duty of Ambassadors should be informing TLG about the next generation of community - to help guide the community and the company closer together. I’m off topic now, but one of the biggest things I did while an Ambassador was to recommend Nathan Wells to help the Castle 2007 team. He turned out to be very important in the process, and made the end result much better.

I must’ve missed that announcement first time around. It strikes me that this is exactly the sort of thing the community would like to hear so that we could share your pride in the achievement, and yet this is the first we’ve heard of it.

First off, I stepped down last August due to my son. So I bear no responsibility in subsequent handling of information - I gave that responsibility to other people.

Secondly, announcement was during BrickFest that AFOLs had helped - a few months later, Mark and Ben spelled it out in more detailed. I assumed the go ahead had been given and that others involved could give their input. My own account was no where near as sexy as Mark’s (who flew somewhere), so I didn’t want to steal his thunder. It appears that full details are being prepared for announcement.

Not everyone can make it to Brickfest. Maybe the announcement was made in a fest report, and I did indeed miss it. I think it’s worthy of it’s own thread though.

   Thirdly, it suddenly appears to me that I didn’t have the go ahead to give information like Nathan Wells being involved. So me saying anything could very well be out-of-line.

The point is, where’s the harm in divulging that information at the time it happened? ie. when Nathan was chosen for the project. I don’t argue with the need for secrecy, I just think there’s perhaps more than is really necessary.