 Ambassadors / 131
Re: LEGO Ambassadors Status Report - Summer 2007
Newsgroups:
lugnet.ambassadors
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2007 18:06:24 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.ambassadors, David Eaton wrote:
   But when it *doesn’t* have be kept secret, please, tell us in spades. And when you’re asked for community feedback, ask us. Make the community feel like it’s part of the process.

Let me say that I understand your sentiment and your frustration. My aim here is to outline some of the issues that make it difficult to do what seems obvious.

Big part of the secrecy issue is actually figuring out what must be kept secret and what doesn’t have to. Before the Ambassadors, TLG kept everything underwraps except what they needed to for marketting purposes. The idea of the Ambassadors meant that some information could be given out. So how do we figure that out? Information given on the Ambassador list could be okay or it could be not okay (to announce). The answer is often “I’m not sure, let me check.” So the Ambassadors ask Steve, and Steve asks his boss, and his boss askes whoever the information relates to and that person may or may not answer in a timely manner.

Remember, TLG is not monolithic. Different people in the company have different opinions about the community and about giving info to the community. Some are quite friendly and give lots of info and some are suspicious and give none.

Also remember that many people involved in the Ambassador program are aware of how fragile the program can be. One major leak and a lot of progress will be reversed, so the feeling is “better secret than sorry.”

But the good news is, as Jake often said, that changes are happening slowly. Ambassadors have had candid conversations with Jorgen and Tormud about the issue of secrecy, and Jorgen wants to see more and better communication. But change takes time.

One specific issue that I was personally involved in was the role of Ambassadors in the Castle and Space 2007 projects (that became the Mars Mission and Castle). A few of us built designs to work with the TLG designers. Specifically, Ben Ellermann and Mark Sandlin flew to Billund and built designs that eventually turned into sets. Question: can we show what we made in this project that would be eventually be turned into a set? Specifically, Mark made a dropship that turned into Recon Dropship. So can he show off his creation? We ask down the line and are still waiting for an answer (as far as I know, the answer might have been ‘no’). The problem is finding the person who has the authority to say yes and waiting for them to have enough free time to hear why we think it should be yes.

So, to address your concern: it is often unsure what is exactly secret or not secret, and the urge is to fall on the safe side. The other problem, at least for me, is that a lot of the info that I know and can say, seems to me to be very mundane and boring. The community actively asking questions of Ambassadors and responding to Ambassador posts helps.

-Lenny