 Ambassadors / 135
Re: LEGO Ambassadors Status Report - Summer 2007
Newsgroups:
lugnet.ambassadors
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2007 19:31:41 GMT

In lugnet.ambassadors, Felix Greco wrote:
   Is there a group that is underrepresented? Speak up and get on board.

-Felix

LEGO Ambassador

Not to pick on you Felix (I would’ve voted for you in an ambassador contest or just about anything else your MOCs are so interesting ; ) but this line is worth responding to.

Eurobricks is without representation despite, I’m told, many of their admin and founders applying each term. I think most people would include EB in a list of the big forums but it is the only one completely unrepresented (Yes ambassadors post there, but they only have a few posts each.)

I think this has to do with how ‘controlled’ the ambassadors program is. I understand why, I respect the people in it, but I have very little respect for it as a program with an ‘ambassador’ role. It’s “just” a focus group (which is wonderful, we’ve/I’ve wanted to see an AFOL focus group for years, I just wish they would call it that.) It seems to me that the people involved think it’s excellent (presumably because they are contributing so much) they then present it as such to the rest of us, many of whom have our doubts as we see nothing except a list of names and a few vagaries. Thus far Lego have chosen such well respected names that the reassurances work and we don’t feel that it is some sort of elitist yes-man program, but take away those names and, from my perspective, it is. I’ve heard/learned nothing from my ‘ambassadors’ and I just have to keep the faith that this is due to necessary secrecy and they are all doing a great job. I’m sure they are, but it’d be great to know.

In typing this I realized my error. I interpreted the “ambassadors” to be ambassadors from the community to Lego. This caused my disappointment. In actual fact they are ambassadors from Lego to us. I remember when Jake used to talk of great things in the pipeline that he couldn’t tell us about. Now that phrase is the domain of some of the ambassadors. Does this mean I don’t think they are telling Lego what we (the community) want to tell Lego? Of course they are! But they are telling them in the manner of an ambassador returning home and explaining the mood in the local of his posting. They aren’t going out from us and returning with news. They weren’t supposed to. That was just my wishful thinking...

To put it succinctly:
   Is there a group that is underrepresented?
Us...

God Bless,

Nathan

Who: doesn’t want to start a war of words, was just giving his own opinion (which probably can/will be ripped to shreds). And would probably secretly like to be an ambassador and is just bitter that he can’t be because he is anti-bley .

I’ve held back this rant for ages now. Apologies for letting it out. Hopefully I’ll be quiet on the subject for ages now and go build/praise some MOCs...