 Administrative / General / 8267
Re: New Partsref is pure bliss
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 21:59:29 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad, Jon Kozan wrote:

If there were a complete listing, as well as a listing at each sub-level.,
rather than the current bottom-level-only listing, it would be much more
usable for me.

Hmmm.  I considered showing the parts on pages like
<http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/vehicle/>, but decided not to -- too much
potential for parts overload.  Especially since that would throw 1547 parts
on the main page.  Yikes!

I also thought about implementing a 20-item-per-page setup, and providing
Next/Previous links, but that seemed *too* limited to me.  With static
HTML, there wasn't really a viable option for user-specified list-lengths.

Also, the 20 images per page is OK, but I'd also like to get my search
without a page limit - which is far better for printing out.

I tried to avoid imposing on Todd to update the search engine.  He's been
very kind to host Partsref, and provide the search engine at all.

I'm agreeing with the need for Multiple Views.

OK, I like flexibility.  But what does 'multiple view' mean to you?  Framed
and unframed?

You're correct, "multiple" can be different for each of us.
OK, how's this?

I think Todd's search limit is similar (maybe same code) to the search function
for the set database... I'm proposing that it be over-ridden for these links.

But even that aside, you could have a link on each sub-level to view the total
parts pics at that sub-level.

You also could have a link on the title page (with attendant size disclaimers)
to view all the pics in one page. (T-1/3 lines and cable modems can handle it).

I love printing a catalog after each update, but now, that's really tedious,
especially with the onerous 20 parts per page limit... (Todd?)

You could even call it a "View Entire Catalog" link...

-Jon