 Administrative / General / 8268
Re: Growth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 23:37:13 GMT

Although I've come across many client applications that don't get it
right; xmms is the first one that comes to mind, as it assumes anything
after a colon in the URL is a port number, no matter where it shows
up.

wow, so a properly formed http://x.y.z:1234/a/b/c won't work? That's
pretty bad.

I probably didn't explain it right...  The example that you give above
works, but something like

   http://www.example.com/track-a:song.mp3

fails because it thinks that song.mp3 is the port number.  Other failures
include

   http://www.example.com/view/image/mylego.jpg?1000:100

where it would try to connect on port 100.

As Todd pointed out, the colon should be replaced with %3A, but that
doesn't excuse poor matching like this.  :)

Chris

FUT: lugnet.off-topic.geek