 Administrative / General / 8261
Re: Growth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 19:03:58 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Scott Arthur writes:

I am a little surprised. Posting traffic over the last 12 months is actually
slightly down - in terms of trend. This is almost all due to the Xmas rush
last year I expect.

Statistics are great things, if I extend the downward trend, I can predict
that LUGNET will be down to one post per month in mid-December 2007!

It be interesting to see if the number of users posting is increasing or
just staying steady too?

Are you saying that since there are more members you expect more posting
traffic?  Personally, I hope not.

While I expect that everyone should feel comfortable posting their views,
opinions and any information they have, I am not particularly in favor of
increased traffic.

I read Lugnet almost daily, sometimes for several hours at a time and I can
cover many threads in many forums.  But I do not post much.  Sometimes I do not
post for weeks or even months at a time.
Why??  Because mostly I feel no need if someone else has expressed my views
already--duplication is not necessarily a good thing.
More posts that say the same thing simply take more time to read and would mean
that anyone who tries to keep current would have to devote more time to cover
the same amount of information.

Dozens of times I have composed a message and then simply decided not to post
it.  And I like the preview before posting option for the web interface.
Sometimes I read my post again and then decide it is unnecessary.
This is not a self-esteem issue or anything--I am far from timid or unsure of
myself; on the contrary--I do not need to see my name on screen for
self-gratification and feel no need for others to have to read unneccesary
stuff that has already been articulated by others.

__Kevin Salm__
....Lego enthusiast for over 20 years....