 Administrative / General / 8264
Re: Growth
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 19:59:42 GMT

Christopher Lindsey wrote:

Todd Lehman wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, Kevin Bannister writes:
it's trying to open the url http://news.lugnet.com/news.raw.cgi?lugnet.general
on port 8265, probably.  isn't that part of the standard?

No -- the port goes immediately after the domain or machine name, not at the
end of the URL.

Although I've come across many client applications that don't get it
right; xmms is the first one that comes to mind, as it assumes anything
after a colon in the URL is a port number, no matter where it shows
up.

wow, so a properly formed http://x.y.z:1234/a/b/c won't work? That's
pretty bad.

--