 CAD / 4914
Re: New Partsref is pure bliss
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.pun
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 21:37:04 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jon Kozan wrote:

I liked the keyword feature. But it's really a bunch of already-run searches -
what's the use of that? Just use the search box.

KEYWORDS is an option that authors can include in their LDraw parts.  So
far, not many parts include KEYWORDS.

For the /partsref/keyword/ page, I also compiled most of the words from the
part names.  The intent of the page is to let people look at the different
'keywords' available.  Hopefully, if they stuck trying to find a part, they
can use the keywords list to track down possibilities that they might not
think of on their own.

In a future version of Partsref, I hope to have more parts with specific
keywords, and drop the compilation of part names (though they'd still be
included in searches).

I had to outsmart it, though, to get it to list all parts.
I used a q=* switch.

:) I hadn't thought of that.

If there were a complete listing, as well as a listing at each sub-level.,
rather than the current bottom-level-only listing, it would be much more usable
for me.

Hmmm.  I considered showing the parts on pages like
<http://guide.lugnet.com/partsref/vehicle/>, but decided not to -- too much
potential for parts overload.  Especially since that would throw 1547 parts
on the main page.  Yikes!

I also thought about implementing a 20-item-per-page setup, and providing
Next/Previous links, but that seemed *too* limited to me.  With static
HTML, there wasn't really a viable option for user-specified list-lengths.

Also, the 20 images per page is OK, but I'd also like to get my search without
a page limit - which is far better for printing out.

I tried to avoid imposing on Todd to update the search engine.  He's been
very kind to host Partsref, and provide the search engine at all.

I'm agreeing with the need for Multiple Views.

OK, I like flexibility.  But what does 'multiple view' mean to you?  Framed
and unframed?

Finally - why the choice for the default light tan color? The 'tan' on the
color page doesn't look like tan at all, while the default looks much more like
'tan' (maybe it's just my display).

LOL!  The colored images use the RGB values programmed into LDLite, many of
which came from Todd, some time ago.  I'm not sure if the Tan was his, or
not.

If I ever regenerate the colored images, I'll look into using the colors
from Suzanne's color chart.

BTW, the cream-color for the images in the category & search pages is the
same RGB value as the background color in the path-bar at the top of page.
Which I took directly from a LUGNET-page-header test the Todd put together.

Just a few thoughts.

I appreciate all comments.

Steve