 General / 23856
Re: New Partsref is pure bliss
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 19:33:20 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Juergen Stuber wrote:

Steve Bliss <steve.bliss@home.com> writes:

Thanks for kudos.  I think there's still room for improvement in Partsref,
but I'm very happy with how this version turned out.  But I couldn't have
done it without Todd's (and I somewhat suspect, Suzanne's) help.

One BIG improvement would be to crossref parts with the sets they come in.
I know getting the data is a huge undertaking, as it amounts to doing
inventories of all the sets.  But if inventories were actually used
in this way I guess this would help motivate people to do them.
In addition to sets there could also be crossrefs to main models,
whose inventories can be deduced from the scanned instructions.

What do you think?

I'm not Steve, but I think it is a great idea
that will not happen until we have a well-defined
inventory format and uploading mechanism that insures
when an eager person supplies an inventory it will
promptly become available to everyone.
Is anyone working on such a thing?

Many of us also have our own personal databases
that cover some of the sets that we are interested in.
But again, if there is no usable means of uploading them, `
what good does that do anyone else?

The current lugnet.db.inv has never done me any good.
The lugnet newsgroup search capability doesn't help me.
If I search for 'white 1x1 tile', for example, it shows me
all messages that have either 'white' or '1x1' or 'tile'.
So I don't see any use of posting things there.
I suppose it might help someone who wants to know what parts
a specific set contains.  However, I have never needed to
know that.  My queries are always of the form "which sets
have white 1x1 tiles and how many?".

Tim Vattima's database at http://www.lugnet.com/inv/tv/
is often helpful, but I wish I could easily add to it.

/Eric McC/