 Administrative / General / 6963
Re: A requested improvement for LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 00:52:30 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Christopher L. Weeks writes:
Hi Todd and Suzanne,

I find the set search box on the home page really handy.  I would find it
even more handy if it appeared on every page when I'm reading the newsgroups.
Is there any chance you'd implement that?

We've got a prototype new more user-friendly homepage which has a multi-
search box replacing the single-search box, and what it does is combines
things into one text box (to type into) and a drop-down list box saying
what to search, with the default being the sets DB.  The form gets posted
to a special-purpose redirector script on the server which channels the
search to the appropriate spot.  So, in a word, ya!

It seems like something with
almost no extra overhead, and I bet I'm not the only one who would benefit
from it.

It works pretty slick.  :)  And even has an option to launch a tiny self-
contained window for results of the search search.

Since the news search box is up at the top, putting the set search box at
the bottom might avoid confusion - but you probably have a paradigm for
where such an addition would go if you were to implement it.

Something that I just thought of as a converse issue, is that it might be
handy to have a search of the newsgroups available from the set database
pages.  Crafting such a search would be much harder.

Kind of like a "search for more info or people talking about this set" type
of thing?

--Todd