 Administrative / General / 6993
6992  |  6994
Subject:
Prototype friendlier LUGNET homepage (was: Re: A requested improvement for LUGNET)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 04:08:50 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

We've got a prototype new more user-friendly homepage which has a multi-
search box replacing the single-search box, and what it does is combines
things into one text box (to type into) and a drop-down list box saying
what to search, with the default being the sets DB.  The form gets posted
to a special-purpose redirector script on the server which channels the
search to the appropriate spot.  [...]

OK, here is the URL of the working prototype:

   http://www.lugnet.com/temp/hpmakeover/

It's "working" in the sense that it's the currentmost revision and the
revolving content is fresh and up-to-date.  It's a "prototype" in the sense
that the layout (and obviously the URL) are subject to change.

The layout is designed to work at any screen size down to 640x480, with the
most dynamic and new-user-friendly items nearest the top.  The emphasis here
is more on community spirit and activity than the current dry newsgroup-
dominated homepage is.

Again, it's all subject to change, but this is the direction we're headed.
Likely changes to the page include stylized little icons for the categories
along the left and right, links to more helpful resources for the first-time
visitor or journalist, and reworking the text at the very bottom of the three
columns.  Might also swap things around a tad, but then again might not.  The
list of new members, for example, is deliberately placed on the opposite side
as the list of prominent newsgroups to avoid creating or strengthening
associations between memberships and newsgroups.

If something like this page gets activated as the "real" main homepage
www.lugnet.com, there will probably need to be some sort of configuration
setting to cause the old homepage (e.g., the one that is current now) to load
instead, for people who might prefer that, unless a really short and simple
URL can be thought of for the old (current) homepage.

--Todd & Suz