 Administrative / General / 6997
Re: Prototype friendlier LUGNET homepage (was: Re: A requested improvement for LUGNET)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 05:25:04 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Todd Lehman & Suzanne Rich writes:
We've got a prototype new more user-friendly homepage which has a multi-
search box replacing the single-search box, and what it does is combines
things into one text box (to type into) and a drop-down list box saying
what to search, with the default being the sets DB.  The form gets posted
to a special-purpose redirector script on the server which channels the
search to the appropriate spot.  [...]

OK, here is the URL of the working prototype:

  http://www.lugnet.com/temp/hpmakeover/

Looks good. I'll have to comment again from work in case Netscape renders it
poorly for some reason. I think this will be a more inviting page, but I do
have some comments:

- I like that you've made it quicker to get to the most active countries local
groups (especially since at least in the past few days, going to local still
just shows you a bunch of Australia messages). Of course someone is going to
be upset that their country isn't on the list.

- It would be good to add the organizations (and pointer to the map)
somewhere's visible. Also a pointer to a calendar of events. I assume the "Top
Stories" is automated.

- You may want a "headlines" area which is more mannualy updated to point to
important current items (like the weeks before Brickfest, you might have
pointed to their web page or the discussion on Lugnet, right now, a pointer to
a page of info on Kidvention would be valuable).

- I think you probably can find a better use for the space occupied by the new
members list, though that is nice. Add a link to "join" somewhere though.

- You might think about whether putting the groups on the left would be more
effective (one thing I wonder is if your positioning of the new members list
overly stresses membership over participation).

- Important links which are missing:
  - links
  - perhaps the S@H specials
  - inventories
  - you may want to list more of the TLC web sites, or at least have a "more"
link
  - fun under groups
  - admin under groups
  - database under groups
  - basic under themed groups (though it doesn't have much discussion)
  - traffic

- You may want to think about what cross links would be effective in making
all the top level groups accessible from a reasonable looking link. (I see for
example that ZNap is accessible from the Technic page). Is it possible to come
up with a category which covers Belville and Scala at least (if not Fabuland
also).

- Bring back the choice of number of messages for the more (I've switched from
20 to 10 because both at home and at work, 10 messages basically fit on the
screen. I assume that when the makeover is complete the more messages pages
will look more consistent with the home page (though I hope they will keep the
summary, though I can see why you've eliminated that for the home page [how
about a choice summary on/off, perhaps separate for home page and continuation
pages]).

--------

Oh, somewhat unrelated - a request for the traffic page, add a in the last 6
hours column (usefull for what happened recently now that I'm on lunch break,
or sitting at the computer after dinner, etc). In some ways, it may be more
valuable than the last hour.

Frank