 Administrative / General / 7076
Re: Prototype friendlier LUGNET homepage (was: Re: A requested improvement for LUGNET)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Wed, 5 Jul 2000 22:30:29 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Todd Lehman & Suzanne Rich writes:
OK, here is the URL of the working prototype:

  http://www.lugnet.com/temp/hpmakeover/

I just now found this, but I guess I'll throw in my 2 cents (Should read
admin.general more often).

I like the new design, but I think there's still a lot of information to digest
on the front page.  Maybe it's just me, but I don't like the trend toward
busier and busier front pages on many web sites.  The prototype looks like a
great way for new users to explore all the different aspects of LUGNET, but I
still think it might scare away those visitors (especially younger ones) who
just happen to stumble across LUGNET.  In order to better attract new users, I
think the introductory page for first time visitors should include a very
condensed version of the LUGNET plan (say, a couple sentences) to introduce the
visitor to LUGNET's purpose.  The page should then give a variety of options to
the visitor of where to go next.  Examples could include:
o Search for a LEGO set
o See this week's Cool LEGO Site
o Read posts from LEGO fans around the world
o Sign up for free to join the discussion
o Become a member and enjoy full benefits
These could be illustrated with screenshots or other icons.  Including pictures
of members'/participants' creations might also entice people to join.
  Of course, this idea for a front page should be further worked out, but I
think the goals should be to keep it simple and enticing.  If everything isn't
included, that's what subsequent pages (more like the current prototype) would
be for.
--Bram