 Administrative / General / 7004
Re: Prototype friendlier LUGNET homepage (was: Re: A requested improvement for LUGNET)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 18:38:38 GMT

Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.admin.general, Sheree Rosenkrantz writes:
How would  someone be able to get to Fabuland from this page ?  Or know
about  it?   I know the idea is to be more welcoming and this involves
streamlining to some extent , but I am currious as to where particlarly
Fabuland gets linked to on this evolving page.

The few groups shown are the most active loc and themed groups.  I think • the
page needs a link to a friendly introductory list of newsgroups by theme • and
popularity, as well as links to the traffic page and a full list of • groups.
Once upon a time there was this page

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/groups/

which worked OK when the list of groups was small, but is too "clumpy" at
the moment.  The full list of groups

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/groups/index/

is also potentially helpful for random-style browsing, but it doesn't say
much about the groups.  And the site map page

   http://www.lugnet.com/sitemap.cgi

I happen to like this one.  There are always new discoveries for me at
Lugnet.  Today is the first time I notice the # bar at the top of this
allowing one to choose less to more detail.  I always prefer more detail
,even if I can't understand it ;-)  .  Graphics/logos would be a nice
addition.
I like to wander around.  I click on things that I haven't a notion of what
they are just because I am curious.  That's how I discovered  that figures
from a yard sale were Fabuland.   If Fabuland had not been on the main page,
it might have taken me much longer to find out about them, if at all.
Just clicking around was how I found Quick set.  It's really grand.  I have
no clue as to when you added it.  I didn't see an announcement or if I did,
it didn't register.  I figure most things i am just discovering have been
around quite a  while.  Maybe that is not the case in this instance.
The evolving homepage has a "slicker" feel to it to me.  I must admit that I
like seeing the posts in the brief form  as on the current opening page.  It
is folksier, and to me that is friendlier.   The prototype with "Top
Stories"  and "Latest Talk"  in compact form with the posters listed as "by"
has the feel of official news reporters as opposed to a regular Lego fans.
To me this is a little intimidating.   I think it would have taken me quite
a bit longer  to get up the  nerve to plunge in and post much less join, if
this were the page I first saw  when i encountered Lugnet.  This  may or
maynot be the case for others , probably not.  I am a sort of an anomoly
here at Lugnet , middle age woman with minimal computer skills.   This is
not the average Lugnetter profile or prospective Lugnetter profile.
I guess my overall feeling is that any changes which giving less places to
click is undesirable.  Rearrange stuff, add more color, more graphics ,
fine, but having less places to poke around in as a newcomer would not be my
choice.
I'm not real certain how interested a newcomer would be in seeing the names
of new members   I know I was more interested in reference sites, than posts
and people for quite a while.  Then because of my poor computer skills it
took me a while to figure how to post  and later to join.  Like I said in my
lack of these skills here I am an anomoly.  Most people I realize would not
have this problem.
I am most appreciative of your efforts in creating, maintaining, sharing
and yes tending to the evolution of  your website.   It is always a delight
to see what you and this community comes up with!

sheree
sheree

is a bit too dry.  :)

Possibly, an ideal index of main themed groups might include logos like • the
ones used on these pages:

   http://www.lugnet.com/belville/
   http://www.lugnet.com/castle/
   http://www.lugnet.com/duplo/