 Administrative / General / 7015
Re: Prototype friendlier LUGNET homepage (was: Re: A requested improvement for LUGNET)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2000 12:46:36 GMT

<snip>

My list of suggestions include...

1.  Puting the Organisations or at least a link that gets you to all the
organisations in a prominant position on the homepage.

Ahhh--d'Oh--forgot the /org/ link.  I think it was in there at one point and
then came out, figuring they'd be cross-ref'd from the /loc/ areas.

Actually I think cross-referancing the /org/ groups with the /loc/ groups is a
great idea.  There are a few that might be hard to define boarders for but
still worth while.  Maybe as long as an org is close to a geographic
location you could cross-ref. it.

I still think the /org/ should be somewhere on the homepage though and I think
you do too.

2.  I agree with Frank in that I think having the new members on the left
adds emphasis to that and takes it away from the newsgroups.  I know you
don't want to take emphasis away from membership because that is your "bread
and butter" so to speak but I think a more balanced look might be better.

Maybe there's a better place for it.

Maybe, maybe not.  I think my main issue with it is that if people come to
LUGNET for the first time and see a "New Members" section right off the bat
they might be a little scared off thinking that this was some exclusive club
or something.  I am sure you don't want that.

On the other hand I think on the current homepage it is not emphasized enough
and people might miss it.  I also don't know how you handle getting people with
newsreaders to sign up?  I think if auctions ever become a part of LUGNET it
will bring in a flood of new members as well as hopefully getting current
members to raise their contributions.  I personally wouldn't mind giving LUGNET
a percentage of my auctions as well so maybe that can be worked into the system
as well either as an option or not.

4.  Same for Themed I would put a "more..." at the bottom of the list so see
what other themes are available.

I guess this would go to the page you described earlier, whereas "more..." in
the context of the loc groups could go to /loc/ . . .    The URL for the
themes could be something like /theme/ and be a virtual category with
cross-refs to everything else, or it could be a simple FTX page.

Yah I think that would work.  It might be easier if it were something you could
automate but if not and you use FTX to do the maintanence maybe you could get
some members to volunteer to maintain a page for you as long as anyone
maintaining pages stuck to some sort of standard.

Basically I think your biggest omission is the .org groups.  I think they
need some mention on the homepage.  You might have your reasons for not
including them but I personally think we need them there.

I think there should be a link to /org/ somewhere very near the list of links
to the /loc/xx/ samples.

That would be great!

Looking good, time to up the membership $ a little...

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/

View My Creations at: