 Administrative / General / 6962
Re: Could we get .org.au up soon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au, lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 06:31:57 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Benjamin Whytcross writes:
Todd, how long till we'll be able to see .org.au up, so we can be free to
include any sales/auction postings?

Please have an official from either or both of LegOz and Studs contact me and
I'll set up the groups/lists.

What I need to know is:

1.  Which of the following do you want created?

   a. lugnet.org.au
   b. lugnet.org.au.studs
   c. lugnet.org.au.legoz

(From the earlier discussion in June, I seem to remember that there was
confusion about whether Studs and LegOz were fundamentally different or
whether one group/list would serve both Studs and LegOz equally well.)

2.  If (a) alone is the answer to (1), then a second question is whether you
want the group lugnet.org.au to be specifically for LegOz or whether you want
it to be a meta-discussion group lugnet lugnet.org.us and lugnet.org, where
discussions tend toward getting organizations up and running rather than
toward any particular club's particulars or discussions.  If (a) & (b) or
(a) & (c) or (a) & (b) & (c) is the answer to (1), then lugnet.org.au would
naturally be for meta-discussions.

While we're waiting, could the following please come into force:

1) Allow auction posting in .loc.au - but when .org.au is open, discontinue
this. [we really would like a way to hold auctions where Australians are
welcome, and where we don't have to pay huge amounts for postage...And not
have to wade through the huge amount of postings in .market which are of no
interest to us...At times it can look like an appendage to .loc.us with all
the 'US only' and US targetted postings]

The .org.* groups are for specific organizations and meta-discussions about
forming new organizations, so you'll be able to set that rule (auction or no-
auction) for your .org group.  The .loc.* groups are for discussions related
to locations, not for noisy non-discussion data like auctions.  In other
words, .loc.au is for Australia, not for any particular group of people.
If you want Australia-local auctions, you'll need to have a special group
for that where auctions are explicitly allowed, so as not to contaminate
.loc.au with market noise and potentially turn away new people (the same
reason 99% of all the other groups are market-noise-free).

See also:  http://www.lugnet.com/loc/au/?n=989

2) Allow Mark Harrison to once again post to .loc.au. He is a valuable
member of the Australian lego community, and it's a shame you won't allow
him to post in his local community where his postings don't affect the rest
of the world.

Perhaps it is a far greater shame that Mark shows no repentance.  Let's not
get started on this again, please.  Some have suggested that Mark is lucky
that he is even still allowed to post to .market.auction anymore.  If Mark
wants to be able to post to .loc.au again, he is first going to need to prove
somehow that he can and will respect the rules (rather than continue to
disrespect them as he has in the past).  That's going to have to come from
Mark himself.

[where all the 'sensitive' people who seem to be easily upset
by infringements to rules we find annoying and restrictive [such as
auctions, and Strine[1]]]

[1] Strine: The Australian additions to the english language. Contains words
that are considered in some countries [eg. US] to be [very mild] swearing,
whilst in Australia, they are a part of the everyday language.
BTW, If this is to be punished, do those who 'police' this also police the
other .loc sites that aren't in english...after all, it hardly seems fair to
have a crack-down on one language, and to leave the rest untouched...

I don't know what you mean by 'police' and 'crack-down.'  I'm not aware of
anything explicitly restricting strine here.  Are you aware of anything
implicitly restricting strine?

--Todd