 Local / Australia / 1300
Re: Could we get .org.au up soon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Mon, 19 Jun 2000 07:28:50 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Todd Lehman writes:
Todd, how long till we'll be able to see .org.au up
Please have an official from either or both of LegOz and Studs contact me and
I'll set up the groups/lists.
What I need to know is:  Which of the following do you want created?
  a. lugnet.org.au
  b. lugnet.org.au.studs
  c. lugnet.org.au.legoz

Is this Santosh's ball (STUDLY Wordsmith To The Powers That Be) or do we need
a new hat?

Whilst It's nice to have Ben raise the issue again some consensus (as much as
possible given the tyranny of distance) should be reached.
For this reason I've snipped the second and third parts of his Ben's repust
and Todd's reply since we all have differing opinions on those topics that
won't be resolved easily. That is not to say we shouldn't try but sometimes
one has to accept the umpire's call and walk even when we disagree.

Anyway, as per the STUDS waffle that went on at the last meet the only group
that currently formally exists in Australia is STUDS (this is not to suggest
that others can't/shouldn't form groups). STUDS covers only NSW.

At the moment all the info regarding this organisation is posted to loc.au (or
sometimes when we pay attention loc.au.nsw.syd). So far no-one has complained
about the appropriateness of such postings. The volume of traffic in loc.au is
small enough that we can keep up with (almost) everything and still make
headway in catching the Italians.

Any org group would, in my opinion, be simply a front for auction postings.
Any other suggested use of the group already occurs in loc.au without
complaint.

My personal preference would be to see market broken up, segregating the high
volume of US/US only trade from those of the International, Afropean and
Australasian regions.

Regarding the naming of the org (if there is to be one) It can't involve STUDS
until STUDS decides it wants it's own org group. LegOz doesn't (yet) exist
except as a name for the get-togethers we've been having and as a posited name
for a possible umbrella group for the regional groups around Australia.

This leaves org.au as the final option offered by Todd, I guess that'd be what
I'd support when there are so many people in au that I can't fit them into the
address line of an auction e-mail if I ever held one.

James (who has nothing left to say in his tagline)