 Local / Australia / 1327
Re: To Todd - Could we get .org.au up soon
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.au
Date:
Tue, 20 Jun 2000 01:58:54 GMT

In lugnet.loc.au, Santosh Bhat writes:
[...]
What we request is that loc.au.org group be formed.

I assume you mean .org.au ?

Loc.au.org will be used for discussion regarding group activities, meetings
and events that are held by any Lego group within Australia (and not just
confined to any one particular group at present).

OK, got it.  (I assume you mean .org.au, though.)

We would also like to use
it for notifying other Australian members about any trading opportunites
amongst ourselves.

Based on previous discussions, is it correct to assume that this explicitly
includes auctions?

If you feel that such a group is not structured enough (as in there are no
clear definition of what the organisation is), then let me know. We may have
to let STUDS "adopt" a national organisation in which the group will remain
as loc.au.org, but will be reprsented by STUDS until other groups are
associated.

OK, that's fine.  The .loc.us group is similar in that it represents no
particular LUG in the U.S. but different in that, since the U.S. is so huge
geographically and since there are already many well-defined LUGs in
subgroups, the main use for .loc.us is for discussing formation of new groups,
exchanging advice, etc., rather than for any specific group's traffic.

At present there is no need to for there to be distinction between
loc.au.org.studs and loc.au.org.legoz, as there would not be enough traffic
to justify either of these hence one single Australian organisation group
would be preferred.

OK, no problem.  (Again, I assume you mean .org.au.studs and .org.au.legoz :)
If the main group someday outgrows itself and you want to auto-sign-up a batch
of people onto new lists (for those receiving by e-mail) we can do this later
pretty easily if needed.

Could you please let us know how this proposal sounds, if it's acceptable:
what are the next steps to take, if there are problems: what do we need to
straighten out?

Not much more to do -- just confirm that you mean .org.au rather than
.loc.au.org and whether or not you'll allow auction traffic, and I'll take
care of the rest of getting it fired up.  Here's what it would look like:

   Access method    Address/name
   --------------   -----------------------------------
   NNTP (news)      lugnet.org.au
   SMTP (email)     lugnet.org.au@lugnet.com
   HTTP (web)       http://www.lugnet.com/org/au/

   Charter:  Australia-based user groups, clubs, and organizations for
   LEGO enthusiasts:  group formation, founding, planning, announcements,
   etc.; inter-group coordination and planning; general ideas, thoughts,
   inspirations, insights, experiences, etc.  Auction announcements and
   updates ARE permitted here.

(The charter is basically a duplicate of .loc.us with the additional statement
about auctions.  Is that charter specific enough for your purposes or is it
too nebulous?)

--Todd