 Administrative / General / 5833
Re: Strategic Rating (Was: Re: Next and Prev buttons or links)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 16:47:56 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Susan Hoover writes:
Just an FYI...  Human interface guidelines suggest that color should
never be the sole carrier of information, for several reasons.  The
obvious reason is so that people with difficulty distinguishing colors
or shades of gradation can use your system.  Another reason is that
different colors mean different things in different cultures.  In some
countries, for example, white (not black) is the color of mourning.

very good point that I didn't consider...  Is putting an ALT caption still
considered not good enough?  that way, if you point over the color, it'll tell
you the numerical value of it?

The same thing goes for icons.  A picture that is "intuitively obvious"
to one person may leave another scratching his head.  (At a software
company I used to work for, we had a feature for "freezing" a column.
The icon was at one point a thermometer with a very low mercury level,
which confused the heck out of our Japanese customers.  Their idioms
don't include freeze = hold in place.)

heh, yah, that wouldn't have occured to me either.  What did they use instead,
to fix it?

:)

Dan