 Administrative / General / 5832
Re: Strategic Rating (Was: Re: Next and Prev buttons or links)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 16:25:50 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger wrote:

Richard Franks wrote:

BTW, when I say "to mark duplicate info down" I mean down as far
as possible, not down w.r.t. other opinions or w.r.t. the
composite rating.  I still would have rated it a 0 even if there
hadn't already been a 100 on it prior to my rating it.  I try
_real_ hard to ignore other ratings when coming up with my own.

When we have the tables, and the auto-sorting of rated messages..
will we need to see the actual ratings for individual posts?

It could solve the problem of being influenced by others, and the
problem of depressing people by giving them a less than 50 score.
I agree that the *entire* scale should be used, but if I rated
down every conversational, or otherwise below-average post.. then
a lot more feelings would be hurt! Even seeing a 45 next to your
post can be taken too personally sometimes - and I'm not sure that
that is something that is just going to go away either :/

what if instead of seeing a number as the rating (which we can all
read and react to) we'll see it as a color - anywhere from #00FF00
for 100 to #FF0000 for 0 - it won't be obvious what the exact rating
was (and it doesn't really matter what it is), but we'll be able to
tell what the general idea is...

Just an FYI...  Human interface guidelines suggest that color should
never be the sole carrier of information, for several reasons.  The
obvious reason is so that people with difficulty distinguishing colors
or shades of gradation can use your system.  Another reason is that
different colors mean different things in different cultures.  In some
countries, for example, white (not black) is the color of mourning.

The same thing goes for icons.  A picture that is "intuitively obvious"
to one person may leave another scratching his head.  (At a software
company I used to work for, we had a feature for "freezing" a column.
The icon was at one point a thermometer with a very low mercury level,
which confused the heck out of our Japanese customers.  Their idioms
don't include freeze = hold in place.)

--
Susan Hoover
Houston, TX