 Administrative / General / 5774
Re: Next and Prev buttons or links
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 00:00:50 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

While one can always, when walking through posts via the web interface,
mouse up to the location box and increment/decrement the posting number by
one, has there been any consideration to putting a next and prev button or
link in a convenient and unmovable place (in the title bar)??

Yes and no...probably not precisely the semantics that you're describing
(could you go into more detail?) but yes in terms of the general idea of
forward/backward buttons.

It would be fairly straightforward to put next & prev links (or buttons) near
the top which incremented or decremented the article number for a group,
taking you to the previous or next message.  (I think the old pre-May-1999
web interface even had this.)

On the other hand, there's a lot of ambiguity in what "forward" or
"backwards" means in a single-article context.  If it was said always to mean
"proceed to the next or previous article in the group that you're viewing,
assuming that you didn't hop there from the middle of a thread or some other
random starting point," you're saying that would that be helpful?

This would allow one to read the postings to a group in strict numerical
order (till we get a tree walking view that works like a newsreader tree
view, this is the next best thing to allow ensuring that one sees everything
in a group, find a starting point, and walk forward.

I know that this would work only for single groups.

Something already considered?

Before I can answer that, I need a clear understanding of the precise
semantic behavior you desire it to have.  For example, how does what you
want differ from what's already available if you do, say, this...:

   http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=5772,1&v=a
or
   http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=5772,-1&v=a

(Well, for one thing, the current display always puts the "more" links at
the bottom, which is undesirable if you want to browse one at a time.)

--Todd