 Administrative / General / 5775
Re: Strategic Rating (Was: Re: Next and Prev buttons or links)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 00:10:01 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Richard Franks writes:
Looking at the ratings for your post, it's got a 100 and a 0, maybe it isn't
worth 100, but is it really worth a 0? Or is the person rating it a 0 trying
to influence the overall rating rather than give their true opinion? Maybe it
doesn't matter in the scheme of things, but I'm getting bored of this
strategic rating.

To me it's like saying, "My opinion is worth more than yours, so I'm going to
lie just to block out your opinion". I find it rather obnoxious!

I gave it a 0.  That's my honest opinion of it, in relation to the articles
around it.  It repeated something only 2 days old and one node up on the same
thread.  I do appreciate Larry's drawing attention to it again, but from a
scoring and noise standpoint, it does nobody (well, I can only speak for
myself) any good to have to read the same request twice.  It makes sense to
me to mark duplicate info down if the time delta is small, especially in the
same group and on the same thread.  I rated the post above it (the original)
an 80 and probably would have rated the duplicate also an 80 (or maybe a 90)
if several months had passed instead of only 2 days.  HTH,

--Todd