 Administrative / General / 5834
Re: 8480 Technic Shuttles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 21:32:46 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

   Rob-

Rob Doucette wrote:

Is it time to re-hash the 'is this a sale or an auction' debate?  Although
its been done to [near] death, I don't think a concensus was reached on the
topic.

From http://www.lugnet.com/market/theory/?n=946 Todd says:
"- Sealed-bid auctions are "technically" (by name) auctions but in
fundamental
  principle are no different from "or-best-offer" straight sales.  OBO's are
  OK in .buy-sell-trade because OBO is a completely natural way to conduct
  this type of barter, but to avoid flamage, announcements of this type
  probably shouldn't use the word auction."

Did I use the word auction?  I've sold things in this manner many times before
on b-s-t and it's never caused a problem.  Ever.  I even was careful to word it
so that it could not possibly be construed as an auction!  I'm surprised anyone
wants to bring this up again, knowing full well how acrimonious it got last
time.  I think we've had enough of that around these parts lately.

But in http://www.lugnet.com/market/theory/?n=948 Frank replies:
"I'm going to toss a nitpick in here, and I think I'd like to actually
change
policy and encourage these type of auctions to be considered auctions. My
reasoning: how is a "best offer by Thursday" different from the following
announcement:

   For sale to best offer by Dec-21-99 20:52:49 PST,
   go to this web page to submit your offer:" [eBay Link]

Frank also suggested that we cease vigilante-policing the grey areas after a
particularly nasty bout of flamethrowing.  As I was involved in several of these
debates, the conclusion that was drawn at that time was that an OBO sealed-bid
sale was OK, because there are no bid updates.  If I give someone a bid update
of *any* kind before all bids are unsealed, I'm running an auction, and that's
wrong in b-s-t.  If people can see what other people have bid in any manner--by
emailing and asking, by visiting a website, or across b-s-t--that's an auction,
and it's wrong.  The major difference is whether or not someone can see how the
bids lie before bidding is closed and the bids are opened.  They're
fundamentally different things, as was pointed out to me many times--and in one
of those rare moments in life, I was actually converted to this new point of
view.  I was also converted to Frank's point of view as regards "discipline
policing"--I only now suggest "proper fora" when it is to the
seller/auctioneer's benefit as well as in the TOS.

That's my two cents on the issue.  There was no greyness whatsoever in my mind.
Look at it again, and it should all be clear.

best

Lindsay