 Administrative / General / 5872
Re: 8480 Technic Shuttles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 2000 22:16:43 GMT

Assembled Multitude:

"Tom Stangl, VFAQman" wrote:

Rob Doucette wrote:

Sealed bid auctions belong in .auction, and OBO sales belong in .b-s-t.

My interpretation of this is:

an OBO sale is similar to a sealed bid auction EXCEPT a minimum price is set
in an OBO sale.  The absense of a minimum price makes an OBO sale
automatically an auction.  Sound reasonable?

Not really.  Auctions have a Starting Bid, which can easily be set high enough
to be a Minimum Price.

I agree with Tom that OBO without a minimum and OBO with a minimum aren't
different; however, I still think they're both fundamentally different from
auctions in the eBay-esque sense.  But they're also fundamentally different than
straight sales, hence this entire conversation.

I guess I group them with sales now because I primarily sell--were I primarily
buying, I might mentally group them in with .auction sales.  I also grouped them
the latter way when I was selling single items; when I started having multiple
units of a given type, it just seemed more like a sale to me.  If I'd had only one
shuttle to sell, I would have made it a plain old (probaby eBay) auction--but I
had six, so it seemed different, but it's closest to a blind Dutch auction, if
such a beast exists.

In any case, I don't want to see a lugnet.market.obo group spring up--best to
decide their belonging in one group or the other.  Since the .auction folks don't
complain when sales appear (do they ever?) in their group, and the .b-s-t regulars
often find auction announcements objectionable, I'd think administratively that it
would be best to put OBOs in .auction--the path of least resistance--and to post
some kind of announcement to that effect or add it to the overview.  (Perhaps a
handy acronym akin to "FA:" or "FS:" like "SBA:" would help differentiate them?
I'm not sure one has been codified.)

For the record, Lindsay's posting (post #1 in this thread, although not the
start) DID list a minimum asking price.

BTW, I wasn't really fulminating at you, Rob--I was just consterned at this being
raised again (and maybe feeling singled out), when I thought that definitive
policy had been articulated, for better or for worse.  I was very much in sync
with Larry's understanding that OBO goes in b-s-t, not by consensus opinion (or
even his own) but by LUGNET policy.  It appears I was mistaken!  I figured
defensiveness was the better part of valour, sorry if it sounded like
overreaction.  No personal offence was taken.  :)

Next time, I'll just go to eBay on the first go-round.  At least there's no debate
over where *those* announcements go.  ;)

best

Lindsay