 Administrative / General / 5848
Re: 8480 Technic Shuttles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 1 Apr 2000 21:07:42 GMT

Whoa, major overreaction!  Read MY message again:

Mr L F Braun wrote in message <38E5197E.6B012E5B@pilot.msu.edu>...
Rob Doucette wrote:
Is it time to re-hash the 'is this a sale or an auction' debate? • Although
its been done to [near] death, I don't think a concensus was reached on • the
topic.

Was a concensus reached on this topic?  Read the thread I refered to, I
searched around and could not find any mention of a concensus being reached.
I included points of view on both sides of the debate.  My message did not
include any judgement either way, just a question:  Do folks in general
consider this type of 'sale' an auction or not?

Did I use the word auction?

No, I didn't say you did.

I've sold things in this manner many times before
on b-s-t and it's never caused a problem.  Ever.  I even was careful to • word it
so that it could not possibly be construed as an auction!  I'm surprised • anyone
wants to bring this up again, knowing full well how acrimonious it got last
time.  I think we've had enough of that around these parts lately.

Again, I'm not making a judgement on your post.  Just asking a questions of
.b-s-t readers in general.

But in http://www.lugnet.com/market/theory/?n=948 Frank replies:
"I'm going to toss a nitpick in here, and I think I'd like to actually
change
policy and encourage these type of auctions to be considered auctions. My
reasoning: how is a "best offer by Thursday" different from the following
announcement:

   For sale to best offer by Dec-21-99 20:52:49 PST,
   go to this web page to submit your offer:" [eBay Link]

Frank also suggested that we cease vigilante-policing the grey areas after • a
particularly nasty bout of flamethrowing.  As I was involved in several of • these
debates, the conclusion that was drawn at that time was that an OBO • sealed-bid
sale was OK, because there are no bid updates.  If I give someone a bid • update
of *any* kind before all bids are unsealed, I'm running an auction, and • that's
wrong in b-s-t.  If people can see what other people have bid in any • manner--by
emailing and asking, by visiting a website, or across b-s-t--that's an • auction,
and it's wrong.  The major difference is whether or not someone can see how • the
bids lie before bidding is closed and the bids are opened.  They're
fundamentally different things, as was pointed out to me many times--and in • one
of those rare moments in life, I was actually converted to this new point • of
view.  I was also converted to Frank's point of view as regards "discipline
policing"--I only now suggest "proper fora" when it is to the
seller/auctioneer's benefit as well as in the TOS.

I don't diagree with you.

That's my two cents on the issue.  There was no greyness whatsoever in my • mind.
Look at it again, and it should all be clear.

I don't doubt your sincerity (sp?) or your intentions.

Sorry if my post was not clear.

-Rob.