 Administrative / General / 12392
12391  |  12393
Subject:
Admins (Re: wish's - Contest canceled)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 4 Mar 2005 00:10:14 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz wrote:

When I look at how the disrespect of Lugnet and it's admins has increased in
the past months, I wonder that anyone would even be remotely interested in
becoming an admin. If the current set of admins are driven away, what is the
chance another set will be willing to step up?

For much of its history, lugnet has had very little active policing of posts by
admins.

In the days before the transition team evolved into admins on lugnet, the place
wasn’t overrun with swearing. Occassionally someone would do ‘wrong’ and there’d
be a bit of finger pointing and mentions of the TOU and so on, but generally,
there wasn’t a lot of swearing.

I acknowledge admins have a generally thankless task, and receive little benefit
in return. But they are, I think, sometimes overzealous in what they do. Not
just in seeking out and prosecuting offensive posts (which may have otherwise
gone largely unnoticed), but engaging in long debates/discussions (where they
sometimes lapse in and out of posting 'as admins') which arise as a result of
their actions.

If people don't like what the admins do, then tough! They're the admins, they
can do it. But the admins don't *need* to argue the point *at all*, let alone
*at length*.

Sometimes it's better to let a fire die out, than trying to extinguish it and
ending up fanning the flames.

Regards

Richie Dulin