 Administrative / General / 12391
Re: wish's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 23:59:04 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Calum Tsang wrote:
In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Todd Lehman wrote:

Chris, why are you doing this?  Why are you attempting to undermine LUGNET
administration?  What do you hope to gain by it?  What do your friends in
rtlToronto think of your antics?  You think it's fun to run a contest that
ridicules someone?

First, this has nothing to do with rtlToronto.  Some of our members may dislike
Larry, some may like him.  In general, the sentiment up here tends to lean to
the former from what I can tell. Regardless, it has nothing to do with the group
officially.  Like all these administrators who feel they can take the hat on and
off, Chris's Contest is with the hat off, defintely.

That said, Chris can do whatever he wants in his posting of of such a contest.

Elsewhere he can, subject to the rules and regulations, if any, of whatever
place he does so. Not here. Here he is subject to the ToS like everyone else.
So, to say that "he can do whatever he wants" is false, unless you add the
codicil, "and face the consequences, if any".

I am not among those that say that what happens elsewhere has bearing on what
actions are taken here. But the initial post in this thread, without regard to
actions or statements anywhere else, is in my judgement, and that of others,
egregious baiting and is in violation of the ToS.

Is it hurting Lugnet?  Perhaps.  Are the administrators in question hurting
Lugnet?  I defintely can see that.

These past few weeks,

Weeks?

I said to you years ago that rtlT (the way your group wants to operate on
LUGNET) doesn't necessarily fit the charter, at least not exactly, and that you
would have to abide by the ToS of LUGNET just like everyone else. I'm not seeing
evidence of any fundamental agreement with that notion, that the rules apply to
everyone, and that they agree to abide, at least from some people that are
regular users of rtlT.

I've been requested to move rtlToronto completely off of
Lugnet, an action I don't want to do, because I think Lugnet is THE center of
the AFOL community when it comes to discussion.  I've heard comments to the
effect of "this is censorship" or "this is the end of Lugnet" or "just wait
until these crazy religious 'let's save the children' Americans take over".
Some of the members here don't feel comfortable with being on Lugnet anymore,
and that's directly due to the actions of the administration in place.

You should vote with your feet, then. I seriously mean that, and not in an
unfriendly way. If you (or some of your members) cannot or will not abide, and
cannot or will not work WITHIN the system for change, WHILE abiding, you should
seek another venue, one more condusive to how you want to do things. That's not
a slam, it's honest advice. There are many venues now, and more all the time.
LUGNET is not for everyone, in particular it is not for those that cannot or
will not abide.

What do you want us to do?  This is Chris' attempt at regime change.
Offer us a  better solution if you don't think this one is appropriate.

If you seriously think this is the best solution you could come up with to
working for change, I am pretty much at a loss. A better solution than publicly
ridiculing someone because they showed frustration? You really are unable to
think of one? I pity you.