 Administrative / General / 12370
Re: wish's - Contest canceled
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 19:22:46 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Chris Magno wrote:
Todd, since you responded, and this is your sandbox, I
will respectfully withdraw the contests, out of regard
for Lugnet. After all I do like the place.

You have made your point clear and I will
respect your wishes,  this
contest was of my own doing based on the personal
experiences I have had with Larry.   I find Larry's
condensing and rude attitudes, pompous arrogance and
reasoning skills to be unbecoming of an official
spokes person or admin of Lugnet.

This last line bears repeating!!

"Larry's condensing and rude attitudes, pompous arrogance and
reasoning skills are unbecoming of an official spokes person or admin of
Lugnet. "

ROFLMAO, so what is Larry condensing? Milk?
If you are going to post inflamatory remarks about an individual. Get it right
or borrow a dictionary.

Now I've known Larry for a few years, and while it is true that he can come off
as condescending, I have found that most of the 'rude attitudes' are a direct
result of people getting upset and miscontruing his intent.
As to his 'arrogance', sit down pup and take a load off, he's earned it.
In regards to his  reasoning skills, I tend to find that even when I do disagree
with Larry, a request for clarification will commonly change my mind, although
not always.
Finally, I do not remember seeing your name as owner, operator or head
administrator of LUGNet.

And to be frank, I am STILL stunned by this post from you.

Given your posts and displayed intellectual capacity, I suspect this is a common
state of existence for you.

http://news.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=12301

  Since I don't have,nor want the luxury of being admin, I was forced to
find a different way to make my point. The point has
been made.

Forced? I believe the phrase would be far more accurate if you replaced 'was
forced' with 'chose'.

My personal wish, AND I'm sure the wishs of MANY more who choose to
remain silent out of fear,  is to see Lar stripped of his Orwellian powers.

Orwellian powers? You don't read much, do you Chris?
The slightest hint of 'censorship' and the average person starts spouting
'Orwellian' and '1984'  in such a manner that proves they've no clue what it
means. Larry does not now, nor has he ever, to my knowledge, attempted anything
close to exercising 'Orwellian' power over anyone other than himself. Perhaps
you would care to read the precepts of which you speak?
'Orwellian' power as espoused in the novel 1984 expressed near absolute control
of every person's every action, enforced by constant survielance as well as
physical and psychological torture of any who defied such power.

Larry won't even cancel a post without the author's explicit permission. How in
the name of this great mudball we live on is that even close to 'Orwellian'?

Now let's examine this a wee bit closer: Larry would ask a person in violation
of the ToU, agreed to with every post by every user, to approve or request a
cancel of the offending post, offline and privately. You however began a public
defamatory contest, designed obviously, to cause psychological discomfort or
even pain to another person because you disliked the way they think and act.

Your method certainly sounds far more 'Orwellian' than Larry's actions. Larry
has NEVER made a public issue of a post canceling request or a ToU violation.
Every time it comes up, it has been the violator who felt 'assaulted' and made
the issue public. Again, who is at fault for the public humiliation and attacks?
Not Larry, but the person who was in violation of the agreement they agree to
every time they post (at least when they use the website to post) or at they
very least that they agreed to during the setup of their posting privileges.

Ooh, wait, what was that word? Oh yeah! 'PRIVILEGES'. Try a stunt like this on
Yahoo groups, I dare you.. They have been known to delete whole groups and
cancel accounts for such. Try almost any privately run discussion board, most
are FAR more vicious in their assaults upon ToU violators.

Finally this latest 'censorship' discussion is the same rehashed sludge from
every discussion group I have ever encountered. The fact is this: We as adults
feel we should be able to say whatever we want, but those of us with children
feel we should be able to allow them to read a public forum related to the
subject in question (here it is of course LEGO toys) without being subjected to
vulgar, rude and abusive language (however we happen to define it).
This kind of vague description is rife with grey zones and room for argument,
but it all comes down to this: Who's paying the bills? In this case it is Todd
Lehman (Hats off to him). He owns the pool, puddle, pond, sandbox,
whatever-you-chose-to-call-it. He gets to determine the limits, and who and how
they are enforced. Personally, I think he and his chosen team do a most
excellent job. If you don't like it, go fly your kite somewhere else.

lastly, re:

What do your friends in
rtlToronto think of your antics?

WHO do you think encourages me?  Who do you think donated the prizs?  I
just happen to be the guy with the hutzpah to stand up and take the rap!!!

Chris

Sad to think there's a whole group of people who cannot play well in someone
else's pond.

Todd Lehman wrote:

Simply put. this is NOT a joke.
I have a real prize, and a valid game.
Period.

Chris, why are you doing this?  Why are you attempting to undermine LUGNET
administration?  What do you hope to gain by it?  What do your friends in
rtlToronto think of your antics?   You think it's fun to run a contest that
ridicules someone?

TODD!!!  do you see whats happening around lugnet?

I've seen a lot of people disrespecting the rules, disrespecting Larry,
Lenny, and sometimes Kelly and Tim.  You may find that you have
disagreements with admins from time to time, and that's natural, but
running a contest to try to get them to quit is lacking in taste and tact,
and beyond that it is just plain mean-spirited.

I need Larry and Lenny and all the others for the well-being of LUGNET.
If you succeed in causing either of them to throw up their arms and quit,
you will be hurting LUGNET.  In fact, you're hurting it simply by trying.
I am asking you to please cancel your contest.  You may see the contest
as a personal issue between yourself and Larry, but that is not how I am
seeing it.

--Todd

[xfut => .admin.general]