 Administrative / General / 12301
Re: Bye, bye LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 23:24:31 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Terry Prosper wrote:
   And Larry has this talent for bringing the worst out of everybody and making this place a very unpleasant place.

Hello Terry,
Larry is really a great guy once you get to know him. Yes, he can be brash at times, but he means well. Lord knows I’ve had my disagreements with Larry, but we work through those and we are the better for it.

   Especially since he’s an Admin... I still can’t understand how such a person could have so much power here...

Larry brings a LOT to the table and I am proud to know him and work with him. He has a huge amount of experience within the community, loads of respect for what the community stands for, and has been a key contributor at LUGNET since, well, even before it went live. Honestly, I can’t think of another AFOL who has been through thick and thin over the past 8 years -- who has always always always been on top of things in the community and has never, amazingly, taken any sort of visible haitus from the hobby. I also have seen -- and continue to see in Larry -- highly admirable organizational and architectural skills and often surprisingly cogent visions for the future. Often when we debate technical things, I find myself agreeing months later that he was right all along. These are some of the reasons he’s on the admin team.

That said, no one is perfect. And as people who want to do well unto others, we are always learning. It would help Larry (and all of us) best if you could form your thoughts into constructive feedback as to what you feel makes things unpleasant and why. Probably private e-mail, although a gentle, polite public post can sometimes stimulate thoughtful discussion, as we’ve seen over the years.

Anyway, I don’t know if you were around in 1998-9, but I was quite a tyrant at times around here when I was still learning the ropes. I rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, brought out the worst in other people as well as myself, burned many bridges accidentally, and spent a long time making amends. Fortunately, some people (Larry being one of them) pulled me aside occasionally and let me know when I was being hurtful to others when I was blind to it -- and they explained this gently, helping me see how I could change my approach. My point in bringing this up is that I think Larry is phenominal job given the time he’s been on it.

--Todd