 Off-Topic / Debate / 26634
26633  |  26635
Subject:
Bye, bye Canada
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 17:37:29 GMT

Here's the thing for me--

iwork for a Canadian company that has locations throughout Canada (except the
Territories--I'd love that, but not so much at this time with the trips to the
Yukon...)

Anyway, we have 6 or so locatoins in the province of Quebec, therefore, as
support guy, I get to speak with people on an almost daily basis who were born,
live and work in that wonderful province.  Every single one of them would love
this 'separation' issue to die.  They let me know, in no uncertain terms, that
being part of Canada is much better for everyone in Quebec than separating.
They are well-educated individuals who have thought the issue through logically
and without some sort of 'rose-coloured glasses'.

Do you speak French?  If not, I guess you don't speak to the vast majority of
people here that speak French as their natural language, that have no idea that
there is a Canadian culture (most people here wouldn't know that Avril Lavigne,
Bryan Adams or Jim Carrey are Canadians, they're all Americans to us).  If you
speak to Anglophones, they're ALL federalists, so no wonder you think we all
think like that, but Anglophones are ony 10% of the population of Québec.
Allophones?  Same thing.  The 80% remaining are French, mostly separatists, they
don't want the Canadian currency (I'd go for the Euro myself), they have no
desire of being in the doorstp and just wish this whole thing will be over soon.

Now, you should also know that after the 1980 referendum, there was a period of
about 10-12 years when people didn't care about that issue anymore.  It happened
also after the 1995 referendum.  We call this the post-referendum blues.  It
happens everywhere in the world after a political group loses a big battle.
However, it should also be noted that in 1980, we got 40% of yes.  In 1995,
49.4%.  The polls have never been as high as right now in a non-referendum
context.  With both Liberals at provincial and federal levels screwing us so
blatantly, one can only assume that in 2009, date expected for our final
referendum, we'll get over 60% yes.

And yes, don'T even get me started on the sponsorship scandal.  Ìt only shows to
what lenghts the Canadians are ready to go to keep Québec enslaved.

I respect the right to want rights.  I respect the 'unique society'.  I don't
even mind the 'French Only' laws, though that's bad for tourism, imho--but if
people want to shoot themselves in the foot, then all the power to them.

By saying that, you show a total lack of understanding of the question.  We NEED
those laws.  You can't understand what it's like to be 6 millions Francophones
in a continent full of 300 millions anglophones that wish nothing shorter than
assimilate you.

The separation issue, however, is where I have the problem. Either get out
entirely, or stay in--this 'hanging in the doorway' is costing money, resources,
and creating divisiveness for all of Canada.

The next time this comes up, no wishy-washy question about separating--put it on
the table--all or nothing--own currency/everything else, and pay for what the
province owes towards the national debt.

Amen to that.  Would it be me, the question would be "Do you want Québec to
becaome a soverain country ?"

Still, David, I'm not anti-Canada, as I once was.  I understand that Canada is
one of the best places to live in the world.  But since you cone in Québec on a
regular basis, you must know the same applies to  Québec.  The thing Canadians
don't understand is that for the majority of us, Canada is our neighbours, not
our nation.  We are a nation of our own and we want to be recognized as so.  We
want to be able to make our own laws.  We want to develop our economy according
to our needs, not those of Alberta, PEI or whatever Ontari decides for the rest
of Canada since they elect by themselves the government in place (lst federal
elections are the undeniale proof of that).

Terry