 Off-Topic / Debate / 26630
Re: I love LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 15:54:05 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Jason Whittenburg wrote:

The "f" word is uncalled for, it is last resort of a man without ideas,
foundations, positions, or principals.  It is the tool of an uneducation man.

I expect that you meant "an uneducated man," but it would be churlish of me to
make an issue of a typo when I myself am endlessly guilty of same.

However, it's a mistake to identify the dreaded "f" word as an indicator of a
lack of education or sophistication.  Plenty (and I mean plenty) of educated and
respected authors make use of that word, among them Henry Miller, Charles
Bukowski, Cormac McCarthy, Umberto Eco.  To dismiss a speaker/writer as
uneducated simply because he invokes this word is as baseless as it would be to
dismiss as undeducated someone who speaks with a Southern accent.  He may or may
not be uneducated, but his accent (or use of the "f" word) is irrelevant.

To what point is this community about respect of the others and their right
to express themselves?

I don't remember any such rights, the only right I know of here is the right to
post until such time it is deemed by the owners and administrators of this sight
the one should not have the right to post anymore...

I think that would be more accurately described as a privilege, since one is
generally described as having one's "posting privileges" revoked/suspended
rather than one's "posting rights."  A trivial distinction?  Perhaps.  But some
people here subscribe to the notion of "inherent rights," and it could be
problematic to equate "inherent rights" with "granted privileges."

In fact I find, along with George Carlin, that people who are desperate for
repect and to be heard, seldom respect others nor listen to their points of
view...

This is a restating of the old "if you're tolerant you must tolerate my
intolerance" argument, and it's been fairly thoroughly dismantled in this very
forum.  Additionally, if you demand that your views be heard and respected, then
it behooves you to recognize that everyone who hears and respects your view
needn't also accept or adopt that view.

Dave!