 Off-Topic / Debate / 26631
Re: Bye, bye LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 16:03:08 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, James Powell wrote:
In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Terry Prosper wrote:

Now you're teasing me...  You know pretty well that I'm no Canadian...  I'm
Québécois and not part of your country, which is a fine country i might add, > at all.

Lets see:  Passport=Canadian
           Money=Canadian
           Last Referendum= Canadian

Therefore, you are Canadian.  You may be a Quebeccois, and I might be a Smurfing
Squarehead (Insert apropriate swearword that started this whole thing instead of
Smurfing if you want), but you are a Canadian-Quebeccois.  If you don't like
Canada, then I can suggest moving to East Timor, or some other entirely
hospitable (ha!) place for a while.

James Powell

Here's the thing for me--

iwork for a Canadian company that has locations throughout Canada (except the
Territories--I'd love that, but not so much at this time with the trips to the
Yukon...)

Anyway, we have 6 or so locatoins in the province of Quebec, therefore, as
support guy, I get to speak with people on an almost daily basis who were born,
live and work in that wonderful province.  Every single one of them would love
this 'separation' issue to die.  They let me know, in no uncertain terms, that
being part of Canada is much better for everyone in Quebec than separating.
They are well-educated individuals who have thought the issue through logically
and without some sort of 'rose-coloured glasses'.

I respect the right to want rights.  I respect the 'unique society'.  I don't
even mind the 'French Only' laws, though that's bad for tourism, imho--but if
people want to shoot themselves in the foot, then all the power to them.

The separation issue, however, is where I have the problem. Either get out
entirely, or stay in--this 'hanging in the doorway' is costing money, resources,
and creating divisiveness for all of Canada.

The next time this comes up, no wishy-washy question about separating--put it on
the table--all or nothing--own currency/everything else, and pay for what the
province owes towards the national debt.

I won't even go into the sponsorship scandal.

Dave K