 Administrative / General / 12385
Re: wish's - Contest canceled
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 22:25:15 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Frank Filz wrote:
David Koudys wrote:
If you're not having fun, get out.  Take a break.  If you are so
close to the edge where you state, "WHy do I even bother!  I've got
better things to do with my time", you are, in fact, stating that you
need to step away.

And that's what some of us are considering. What we are doing however, by
pointing out that we are close to the edge is that people are making Lugnet
unfun to run. If all the admins decide it's unfun, then Lugnet goes away.

I hope everyone will take a moment and think about that.

Think about the precedent set by having a contest to try and drive an admin
away.

Think about it hard.

When I look at how the disrespect of Lugnet and it's admins has increased in
the past months, I wonder that anyone would even be remotely interested in
becoming an admin. If the current set of admins are driven away, what is the
chance another set will be willing to step up?

Think about the implications.

Frank

I did.  I also thought about the implications or the extra-ordinary problem that
would take Dave K to actually stand up and say something that runs contary to
the 'status quo', at least where the administration is concerned.

What about those apples?

Admin hats don't give people 'superpowers' not to be scrutinized.  And the
scrutiny, at this time, is focusing on the lack of consistency with regards to
profanity, the apparent 'double-speak' with regards to censorship, and whatever
else that I can't think of at this time 'cause I'm kinda tired, so I'll leave it
alone.

I personally wouldn't have done what Chris did.  It's not in me, no matter what
I feel about any person.  Few things--it happened off of 'school grounds' so by
what right does anyone here on LUGNET have to say to Chris, "If it were me, I
revoking your privileges here on LUGNET!"

So many issues...

Anyway, further, if two people who have been on LUGNET since the beginning can't
resolve their differences, whether one is an admin or not, what does that say
for everyone else?

Now I don't care who's right and who's wrong--When someone posts "I don't know
why I even bother and you guys can all go ___ yourselves", that, in my opinion,
is akin to using the same word.  Why beat around the bush--we know what he
blanked out, and anyone who says 'he could've meant this other thing' is just
playing semantics.

On the other hand, Chris wasn't right, in my mind, either, but he feels like he
was, and it wasn't on LUGNET.  So who am I to say, "Hey Chris!  better rethink
this for you're jepoardizing your stay on LUGNET."

Grievances, grievances.

I dunno.  I'm ging to go home tonight and build something out of LEGO and forget
about this mess.

Dave K
-who has seen issues like this before, and LUGNET will survive.