 Administrative / General / 12382
Re: wish's - Contest canceled
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 21:14:40 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Marc Nelson, Jr. wrote:
   In lugnet.admin.general, Tim Courtney wrote:

   Don’t think I’m not strongly advocating for you to *be* stopped as well as posting this in public either.

-Tim

So you’re threatening to revoke Chris’ posting privileges in retaliation for his criticism of the Admins? Sounds like you’re making Chris’ case for him.

Marc Nelson Jr.

Marc’s
Creations

I had difficulty resolving the grammar of Tim’s line, but my final analysis was that Tim wasn’t advotating any repurcussions from the admins directed at Chris for his posting about the cancelled competition here.

But re-reading it, I’m more confused, but right now, after lack of sleep and a general worry about LUGNET and the future thereof, I’m pretty much confused about many many things around here.

Do we allow profanity or no, is it thinly veiled censorship or no, is the ToU specific or vague, is everyone getting their knickers in a knot over this or are all these legitimate issues that need to be addressed.

I dunno anymore. I tried to help by pointing out a flaw in the system and this is where we are now.

As a parenthetical issue, I’ve been running a personal website since ‘93. I don’t generate even close to the traffic that LUGNET generates, but then again, I never wanted to--it’s just my little dusty corner of the information superhighway.

Over the years my website has had hack attempts, been plagued with hardware/software issues at times, had huge amount of traffic generated due to ‘image stealing’ and other related things.

If I didn’t enjoy running the website, I would have taken it down yeara ago, but I do love it, as a hobby. I don’t let it run my life, nor do I get stressed to the point where I’m rude to people because I have to put effort to stop hackers/image thieves/whatever.

If you’re not having fun, get out. Take a break. If you are so close to the edge where you state, “WHy do I even bother! I’ve got better things to do with my time”, you are, in fact, stating that you need to step away.

On the flip side, when someone is feeling stressed, people shoouldn’t go around provoking them, either--much like the person standing on the edge of a building--the people below shouting ‘Jump!’ should seriously re-evaluate their humanity.

Chris wasn’t nearly that bad. He does have issues with how Larry does things. I know, I’m Chris’s friend and I’ve heard the stories.

My problem is I’ve done the volunteer work and I know that, for the most part it’s a thankless job. But if you do the volunteering, then expect it--it’s the nature of the beast. Should it be that way? Should people be calling for you to leave? Not in my opinion, but they will, and you have to expect it.

I haven’t, nor will I, tell Chris he was wrong. He feels his grievance was legit. Who’s kidding who--the start of all this was Willy, who believed that his grievance was legit. Would I have so spectacularly gone about getting my grievance out there? By posting in a variety of high traffic groups a swear word or starting a ‘get rid of Larry’ competition? Probably not ‘cause, again, it’s not me.

What is me is stating, for hte record, that Larry does a great job here at LUGNET. I’ve stated that before and I’ll state it again. Have I been happy with everything Larry has said and done? No. Just as, I’m sure, he hasn’t been happy with some things I’ve said and done on LUGNET (present discussion included). But I shook his hand and I looked him in the eye and I know he’s a good person.

I’ve also done the same with Chris, and know him to be a good person

Bottom line for me is (and no, this isn’t ‘can’t we all just... get along!’) if everything is out in the open now, let’s just go on.

Not saying ignore anything, but Larry stays in his world, Chris stays in his and we all just go on. If the two of them want to do anything else to either resolve this or whatever, then it’s up to the two of them. The rest of us rubberneckers can stop holding up traffic.

But that’s just me.

Dave K -who still hasn’t gotten past the confusion...