 Administrative / General / 12031
Re: New spotlight weights( was Re: LDraw shortcut images in FTX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 1 Jan 2005 04:11:50 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Ross Crawford wrote:

Mark (and everyone), if you  have specific groups you want to see please go to
those groups and read them.

Well ya, thats kinda easy to figure out ;) I never said anything about how this
was stopping that process. I know its not, I also know that is not what my post
was about in any way.

The spotlight feature is ONLY to choose what gets
put on the front page and other "top stories" pages.

This is kinda more on my point - but still not 100%. The adjusted highlight
weighting is placing posts in the top spots when they do not get ANY highlight
votes. And it is putting them above posts that DO get highlight votes.

What do you (question mainily aimed towards the Lugnet admins) think 'the
people' want to see on the spotlighted list? Posts that got NO highlight votes?
Or posts that got a few highlight votes? With this (miskewed IMHO) weighting
system posts that get NO votes can be higher up than posts that DID get a few
votes. According to Larry, people like the idea of a post getting no votes being
above posts that do get votes. Sorry, that seems about as stupid as possible to
me. It may not seem that way to you - and thats perfectly fine - to each his
own. I am not banging down the doors yelling for them to change it ;)

It is NOT intended to
replace your own ability to browse the groups you're interested in.

Again, thanks for pointing this out, dunno why you did, but thanks. Maybe if
somebody does not understand this they should go finish the second grade?

However, if it is posted to .announce, there's a fair likelihood it will be
something reasonably important, though that DOES rely on the poster's common
sense.

I have seen many things posted in .announce that I question if they should be in
there all the time. I guess we are going to see more abuse of this now that you
can get the #1 spot by doing nothing more than cross-posting it there (if the
conditions are right). And stopping people from doing this will be hard - or
will Larry (random example of Lugnet admin) tell people their MOC or whatever
"announcment" they have is not good enough? And if he does, who is he to be
doing that? Maybe to the poster it IS 'good enough'