 Administrative / General / 12015
Re: New spotlight weights
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 27 Dec 2004 23:16:17 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, David Eaton wrote:

I think I like all of the above except the .color and .lego bits. It seems to me
more that those weights are based on the current rantings, rather than how those
groups "should" be treated. I guess I would expect both .lego and .color to be
at +0's "normally".

I think I agree.

I might suggest that another possible tweak would be that any post made by an
"official lego rep" (or maybe also "official lugnet rep") that is the start of a
new thread get treated specially.

I'm not sure I like this idea - here we are all AFOLs, I see no reason to treat
official TLC announcements any different. If we get the rankings right, there
should be no need.

Also, I noticed the bit on potential thread locking-- on a similar note, you
might want "admin modified spotlight rating" for particular threads. That way,
an admin could modify the spotlight rating of a particular post or thread
directly, and give it an extra boost or kick back down. Essentially, I guess if
the feeling among the admins is that non-MOC, raging debate threads should get
downvoted automatically, why not have the administrative override directly, so
that things that SHOULD get spotlighted appropriately are treated so and not
automatically downvoted?

I would be fairly strongly against that. Admins can already force-fut, and
possibly in the future may be able to lock threads. I think that's enough. The
rating system should be for ALL lugnet members, even ones that highlight posts I
don't think should be highlighted. I would really like the ability to
un-spotlight though, yeah I know the reason why we don't have it, but I think
that could be less of a problem if more people used the spotlighting feature.

I guess my worry is that I honestly enjoy reading some of the debating and
whatnot that goes on here. I see MOC's all the time, and can check out
Brickshelf if I'm in the mood. But now if an important problem comes up, it's
automatically at a disadvantage.

You can still browse the all groups you're interested in. Sure you may miss a
debate here & there if it doesnt get to the front page, meh. You probably
already miss a few that get under your radar.

That's also especially magnified by the fact that people don't often spotlight
as much as they should. I can easily imagine a note that I might want to read
(about, say, something new that the Lego website is doing) which is posted to
.lego, and spotlighted 4 times (net +3 now), and some junky little MOC that got
posted to .announce.moc and spotlighted ONLY by the author (net +6).

Yeah, encouraging more people to use it is more likely to get better results
than any artificial fixes.

ROSCO