 Administrative / General / 12028
Re: New spotlight weights( was Re: LDraw shortcut images in FTX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 20:18:54 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
You are guessing we want to see something up there despite the fact it got 0
spotlights?

Although I admittedly would still rather see the weights go down to just +2 for
.announce.*, and leave off .announce.moc, .lego, and .color from the list all
together, I just had another code-change-necessary thought for weighting...

How about if a post receives no spotlights, it receives no added weight? I might
also add that if a post receives a spotlight vote ONLY from its author, it also
gets no added weight, although tying a post to the member who voted on it isn't
always possible.

Or perhaps that instead of an additive bonus, it's a multiplicative bonus? IE
change the weighting such that:

lugnet.announce.* - 2
lugnet.off-topic.* - 0.5
lugnet.off-topic.test - 0
lugnet.space - 1

Hence, if the above each got 3 spotlights, the results would be as if:

lugnet.announce.* - 6
lugnet.off-topic.* - 1.5
lugnet.off-topic.test - 0
lugnet.space - 3

I actually rather like that, since it has the ability to prevent a particular
group from getting in the sidebar (like with the "rateme" post, which, although
all in good fun, probably shouldn't have been on the sidebar since it was in
o-t.test). Also, if an .off-topic or .lego post got spotlighted currently, all
it takes is a single spotlight to bring it back to the normal +0.

DaveE