 Administrative / General / 12029
Re: New spotlight weights( was Re: LDraw shortcut images in FTX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:25:37 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
In lugnet.admin.general, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Here are what I think the current weights are:

-snip-

[ ".color"         => -2 ],

[ ".lego"          => -1 ]

These can be tweaked as necessary. And will be, if we can't get spotlighting to
highlight what we believe people truly want to see highlighted.

I would think you could figure that out by what they actually DO highlight. Why
would you need to try to guess?

Why do you think we're guessing? The spotlight function has had weighting for
some time. Periodically, that weighting gets adjusted. This was one of those
times.

Where you said yourself "what we believe" - that tells me you do not know, but
are guessing on what you believe to be true.

And I know full well the spotlight weighting has been going on for some time and
gets changed. I do pay attention thankyouverymuch. I missed the spot where I
said it was a new feature ;)

I WANT to see .color and .lego and if they have
to do an uphill battle thats not good IMHO.

We consider and evaluate everyone's opinions, and will include that one, even if
it continues to be in the minority, when next we consider whether to change
weights.

Hey thanks Lar! I am sure you will keep my thoughts in mind.

Seeing posts that have got NO spotlight vote up at #2 and #3, and a few other
top spots, is not what I want to see (as it was yesterday for example). Is that
your guessing working? You are guessing we want to see something up there
despite the fact it got 0 spotlights? I would think you could figure out the
group here did not want those posts spotlighted by the lack of spotlight votes
they got.

We're getting mostly positive feedback on the new weights, on and offline, so
far. But it should be noted that LUGNET is not a democracy, so the fact that
we're getting mostly positive feedback is certainly good but it's not the only
factor in the decision making process. We have the good of the site in mind
first and foremost, not the relative level of the voices trying to tell us what
to do.

I never said what I say should be law. I was only voicing my thoughts, I do not
need any sort of lecture or teaching from you, lol. I have been here long enough
to know how lugnet and Lar work like it was the back of my hand. That is whay I
am not shocked to see TLC get (more of a) smackdown (so to speak) with an
automatic negative rating of any post in the .lego group. But hey, if you are
getting rave reviews then more power to you. I never said I was in the majority
with my thoughts, and I never put any weight on my thoughts.

I thought I was able to voice my thoughts, even if they were a dissapointment in
the actions taken here. Did I do somehting wrong Larry? It is not like I called
you an idiot or anything.

Presumably you're familiar with that approach since, as an admin at BrickLink,

-snip-

I'm making the assumption, of course, that BrickLink is run by people (such as
yourself, presumably) who are willing to think through their actions, explain
their thinking, admit they sometimes make mistakes and act to correct them, not
engage in needless flame wars or inflammatory rhetoric, and overall, act
rationally with the best interests of all the users and the site,...

Oh here we go, lol. Funny thing is, when I posted this thread I knew if you
replied you would find a way to bring BL into it (when this has nothgn to do
with BL). I am in no way posting with anything to do with BL, this is my
personal account (I do not even have a non-personal account as I have no reason
to speak for BL in any way outside of BL).  Look Lar, you won the battle of the
wills with Dan (some would say thanks to the rather large smear campaign you
started) - let it go... move on already,you won! LOL.

Remind me to never take the Lugnet Admins to Vegas ;)

I'm not seeing that as likely to be a problem for you going forward but should
the situation come up, I'll try to remember.

Well, with you thats for sure - I doubt I would even go across the street with
you ;) But there is one of yall that I would and I happen to be friends with.
But really Lar, is this what you have sunk to? Trying to make low-key shots and
dragging BL into this? lol - what a great example you are to all of us. It was a
joke - guess you missed the ";)"

But thanks Larry, you helped make up my mind on a few things with your post.