 Trains / 4136
Re: 8 vs. 6 (was: Excited to Finally be here...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 02:11:00 GMT

One other "take" on model railroading (the one that I prefer, of course) is
not to worry too much about the detail of models vs. prototype, or even
scale, as long as you can recognize "that's a boxcar, that's a hopper,
that's a Pullman, etc."  I prefer to go deeper into the actual running of
the trains:  consists, yard switching, schedules, hauling raw material to
the factory and picking up finished goods to haul to the freight depot to be
distributed to the townsfolk, etc.

For this, it doesn't matter if you're 6-wide, 8-wide, or 20-wide for that
matter, only what fits in your residence (without getting stepped on!).

The reason that I chose Lego to model trains with is that everything comes
apart and goes back together easier, I can build a new layout every night if
I want to, and packing things up for shipment around the world is much
easier (a critical fact to consider when you're in the military and move
every 1-2 years).

--
William A. Swanberg
CPT, SC

"Tony Priestman" <Tony@you-rang.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, Larry Pieniazek (<Fpoosu.HrL@lugnet.com>) wrote at
22:22:06

I'll be blunter. Everyone on this thread, are we actually disagreeing • about
anything here??? I don't think so, really.

Probably not.

I think either John G misread my post, or I misunderstood his
disagreement, because I ended up wanting to write the same thing again
:-)

I guess I'm just trying to get people to express their objectives a bit
more clearly when talking about their designs.

Modelling trains with LEGO is fun and a challenge, but scale modelling
it ain't, so talking about scale is just a waste of time.

There. I think that's what I meant to say :-)
--
Tony Priestman