 Trains / 4097
Re: 8 vs. 6 (was: Excited to Finally be here...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 19:17:21 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Poindexter writes:

Lego has kind of put us AFOLS in a pickle here, because they mix scales
constantly.  Some things are bigger than they should be, some are smaller.

This is the canonical "tinplate" dilemmna from old school model railroading. If
you look at Lionel O or O-27 stuff you will find the same problem, although not
with as wide a variation in scales. So DO you use things in your layout that
are a bit out of scale? How much? Is it OK to use a 1:43 die cast car in a 1:48
layout?

There is no easy answer, I don't think.

I feel the thing to do is to make things look fairly good together and not get
hung up about precise scale. My goal is to evoke appearances rather than to get
an accurate representation. It is a toy, after all.

This IS worth talking about to get all viewpoints on the table but ultimately
people need to decide what they want to do and be happy with what they do (all
kidding aside, although I do like to kid people, especially 8 widers...).

++Lar