 Trains / 4113
Re: 8 vs. 6 (was: Excited to Finally be here...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 05:39:18 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Douglas Pegram writes:
IMHO you have a choice of throwing out the minifig scale and create a
nice "relatively" scale model of rolling stock (as per TLGs modelers) ((and
forget about running it on the track)) or create a nice looking model in
minifig "scale" and enjoy running trains. Either way the LEGO track radius is
absurdly small (just look at the way the passenger car ends and middle from
4559 & 4561 overhang when going around a corner) and since TLG has not seen
fit to offer flex track we're kinda stuck with what we got.

The track they sell has a 12.5" radius.  (Radius is measured from the center
point of a circle to the point midway between the inside and outside rails)

My track has been running curves on a 22.5" radius. (If I did the math
correctly, I thought is was a 25" radius, but I may have been mistaken).  I
think that it is absolutely necessary for making the longer cars (40-60 studs)
not look utterly stupid on curves and also really does make the curves for
smaller cars look a lot better.

TLC really does need to make some better options on track, because their track
line is really limited.  I would like to see:

#1 - 17.5" radius curves
#2 - Motorized Points that allow track passes in 5 inches.  These are similar
to the old 12V points.
#3 - Straight track pack that has 2,3 and 4 stud lenghts.  That, when mixed
properly, would allow track to reach any exact length.
#4 - "Y" track splitters
#5 - 22.5" radius curves
#6 - Crossing track that is not at a 90' angle.

The larger radius curves are not too difficult to imagine, since it only
requires one new mold to be made and would have a relatively large number of
sales.  The straight track pieces would require 3 new molds and would be less
likely, especially since it would be more limited in sales.  Motorized points
would sell well, but would be expensive.  Still, it would promote track sales
in general.  "Y" splitters and the crossing track would be the least likely
items we could expect.

When it is all said and done, I would prefer to make nice, scale models with
Lego, or at least as well scaled as I can make it.  I will still stick
minifigs in the trains and run them around the track.  After all, why would
anyone get into trains without wanting to run them?

Mike Poindexter