 Trains / 4110
Re: 8 vs. 6 (was: Excited to Finally be here...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 03:41:45 GMT

Howdy again,

Well, I certainly didn't mean to create quite a stir but it made for
entertaining reading.  Thanks for the welcome!

For the record, my trains are 6 wide...  :-D

Carrie

In lugnet.trains, Mike Poindexter writes:

Jonathan Reynolds <scorch@tinyworld.co.uk> wrote in message
In lugnet.trains, Richard Earley writes:
In lugnet.trains, Mike Poindexter writes:
<<<SNIP>>>

I would suggest that you pick a scale, then do the math and figure how • many
inches each stud equals.  Stick to that scale for everything you build,
including your trains.

This will eat your bricks! Has anyone practised 'selective compression'. • This
is where you build something to scale but 'selectively compress' some • aspects
or items to reduce space/cost/bricks etc. In most cases this applies to • train
and platform lengths which, on a scale of 8 studs=10 feet, will put the • price
of grey plates through the roof! Even a scale length 70ft train car will • be 56
studs long so only the few will be able to build a decent length train.

As a matter of fact, Legoland uses selective compression on their large
models.  They have an almost unlimited amount of bricks to use, too.  they
build the lowest floor at 1:20 scale and then compress the rest of the
building to a smaller scale (roughly minifig scale)

When I end up building my town's business section, I will be using selective
compression on the Z axis.  This is very important, as it allows skyscrapers
to fit in a garage.

Mike Poindexter