 Trains / 4132
Re: 8 vs. 6 (was: Excited to Finally be here...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 19:47:42 GMT

On Wed, 9 Feb 2000, John Gerlach (<Fpo6pw.Bp6@lugnet.com>) wrote at
15:51:32

In lugnet.trains, Tony Priestman writes:
This is my point, really. It may just be that I've read things
incorrectly, but it appears that many people want to do scale models
with LEGO proportions (ie. 6-wide), but it's just not possible.
--
Tony Priestman
I 100% disagree.  John Neal's 8 wide trains are lovely creations indeed, but

You can make the body look right, but the wheels will be in the wrong
place. You can make the doors look right, but a minifig won't be able to
get through them.

I'm not being snotty here, I just can't see how you can justify the
statement that you can make a 6 wide scale model of a standard gauge
loco.

Yes, you can make it so that people recognise the prototype it's based
on, and I assert that *that* is where the skill lies.

But people keep on arguing about the scale of a minifig, and other
people correctly point out that there isn't one. And all LEGO trains
which are built for a world which includes minifigs are built to this
scale.

I built a Milwaukee Road Diesel, you can see the nose of it here:
http://reality.sgi.com/foster_stco/legopic/nmra/gmltc37.jpg
I built it from a picture on a calendar.  I don't know what the model is, I
don't know the style - I just built from the picture.  Larry (Hail Larry!)
explained to me that this particular model was a "re-build" of something
something something, I don't remember all the information.

Anyway, at the NMRA show last Summer, a man came up to me and asked who built
the Milwaukee Road diesels.  I said it was my design, there is also a second
one that is a copy.  He said "Nice re-builds", so he could obviously tell
*what* they were supposed to be!

The key words here are 'supposed to be.' ie. isn't, but looks like.

--
Tony Priestman