 Trains / 4104
Re: 8 vs. 6 (was: Excited to Finally be here...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 8 Feb 2000 21:25:57 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Nick Goetz writes:
I have a question about the 8 vs. 6 wide. It revolves around the track
width.
   Given that the 8 wide is approximately related to O scale, what width do
the tracks suggest the scale to be? Personally, I have never seen a train
that was only as wide as the outside rails of a track. (Maybe I have bad
eyes.) They always seem to stick out a bit on either side. To me the 8 wide
seems to be the appropriate scale given the fixed width of the track and
obviously the fixed width of the wheels. (This is not even mentioning that
with 25% more width you can put more detail and accuracy into your model.) I
am having a hard time understanding the two opposing arguments. Why doesn't
everyone embrace the 8 wide idea? Comments? Answers?

-Nick

Nick, if you look at

Trains / 3843

(type in 3843 in the search for trains, and it should pop up...sorry, I don't
know how to get it to give me the html blue link thingy!)

I hashed over the issue a bit.  If you go with 5 studs being the gauge, then
the train could be anything from 10-15 wide, and be to scale.

James P