 Trains / 24006
Re: Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 12 Jan 2005 00:31:29 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Mathis wrote:

   Uhm, may I humbly and cautiously suggest... using black split-level train baseplates and spray-painting them grey. (Oh, man, I can’t believe I wrote that.) I’ve seriously considered painting some of mine white. This would be a paint-job of only the exposed profile/sides of the baseplate; not the top with the studs. The paint is a bonds-to-plastic product made by Krylon, called “Fusion”. See this page for colors. This Krylon Fusion spray-paint comes in spray-cans. I found it at Wal-Mart. I sprayed White Fusion onto a black 2x4 brick. The resulting white is “whiter” than “LEGO white”. The spray application does take care: lots of multiple VERY thin coats. The result of my first-time practice was that one side was a bit “grainy” while another side was very smooth and slick. I did coat the studs. This was a mistake, for the paint does add thickness. Subsequent stacking of a non-fusion part stripped the fusion paint off the stud side-walls.

Well, LEGO changed grey on us...why not change black split-level train baseplates into grey. We’ve got two greys now, why not add a third ;-) I don’t know what grey Krylon Fusion looks like compared to any of the LEGO greys-- I haven’t tried it.

later,

James Mathis

James,

I’m in a similar need for split level plates in grey, as I’m woring on a SP 1960 era passenger train. I’m using grey vinyl tape (electrical tape) to cover the sides of a black version. I used yellow tape on a grey 6x28 plate for a ATSF engine awhile back, before the BNSF was avalible. And it worked great. Just avoid fouling the the trucks. I fold the tape under the frame, except where the trucks might rub.

I figure the that LEGO uses stickers, and this is similar. And alot less intrusive then paint.

Also be carefull with Fusion paint. If you try and use some colors over red plastic, the red will bleed up into the paint.

Mat Clayson