 Trains / 23969
23968  |  23970
Subject:
Sets to build the El Capitan (Re: Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 22:00:31 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Paul S. D’Urbano wrote:

   These look great. I’d love to be able to build the whole consist. I was curious if you were planning to release the MPD files? I find these come in handy for trying to figure out what parts I don’t have via Peeron. For example I would upload a limited set list to Peeron with just the Santa Fe sets that I own and then I would do Peeron’s “build a MOC with your sets” thing with your MPD file. It would then tell me immediately what additional parts I need beyond what I already have in my Santa Fe sets.

I’ve tried to modify the full 5-car LDR file to match the Peeron set part lists. Here is updated part inventory information for the 5-car Hi-Level El Capitan build (once modorated).

Paul: Thanks for explaining how you use Peeron to assess the buildability of a custom design. I’ve used this technique to try to assemble a list of sets that allows you to build a 5-car El Capitan set-- one of each car type. Conditions:
  1. You’ve got to find a source for the gray 6x34 split-level train baseplates
  2. You need at least quantity one Metroliner Club Car to get the hinged trans-clear observation windows.
  3. a couple of basic brick substitutions that are not outlined in the El Capitan building instructions: 1) use gray 1x2 or 1x2x2 bricks in place of quantity 7 gray 1x2x2 panels; 2) use gray (PearlLtGray) 1x2 corrugated bricks in place of quantity 12 dkgray corrugated bricks.
Color confusion:

Peeron lists the Santa Fe car 1x2 corrugated bricks as color PearlLtGray. I don’t know how to get MLCad to define that name as the color. I’ve set this color to “135” in the LDR file, so that Peeron recognizes its match to the 10022 and 10025 set inventories. However, my version of MLCad lists color “135” as “unused” and set it to appear transparent. Sorry.

It’s a whopper of a list!
  1. #10011, assorted blue plates, $5 each, qty 4
  2. #10145, assorted light grey bricks, $5 each, qty 7
  3. #8375, Ferrari F1 Pit Set, $30 each, qty 1
  4. #10064, Grey Plates, $5 each, qty 3
  5. #10001, Metroliner, $149 each, qty 1
  6. #10002, Railroad Club Car, $37.50 each, qty 1 (no longer available at S@H)
  7. #3584, Rapid Return (NBA set), $8 each, qty 1
  8. #10025, Santa Fe Cars Set I, $35 each, qty 4
  9. #10022, Santa Fe Cars Set II, $35 each, qty 5
  10. #10020, Santa Fe Super Chief, $40 each, qty 3
Ouch!

Totals in at $730, 6833 pieces.

Of these 6833 pieces, the 5-car El Capitan only uses 2282 on them. :-( I still think that most of the parts from the Santa Fe Car sets get used, but there are a lot of left-over parts from the other sets. Have fun building something else with the approximately 4000 left over parts ;-)

Well, this is it, so far...

Thanks for checking it out.

later,

James Mathis