 Trains / 23886
Subject:
Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 2004 00:52:40 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Happy Holidays to everyone!

For several months I’ve been working on a new train construction book based on the Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level set from 1956. Please check out Brian Clough’s Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level page and his Banks of the Susquehanna railroad screensaver images.

This design heavily uses elements from the official LEGO(R) Santa Fe Super Chief sets. And, critical to its design are the gray split-level train baseplates from the Club Car and Road ‘n Rail Hauler.

I’ve tried to build into these hi-level cars a degree of detail on par with the Super Chief cars: lift-off roof, lift-out upper level seats, spiral stairs, kitchen stoves, and a dumb-waiter (elavator for the food service).

In some ways I’ve tired of pushing toward another construction book, page-count, layout, print-publishing. And, in other ways I feel a bit distracted from simply enjoying this hobby. To this end, I would like to introduce this El Capitan Hi-Level design immediately and (hopefully) conveniently via this crude You Can Build it! Hi-Level El Capitan web-page generated by PowerPoint (I’m no webmaster).

I’m still interested and pursuing getting the El Capitan Hi-Level into a printed book or distributed as a PDF on CD-Rom. You are welcome to e-mail me your interest level in such a publication.

I still enjoy throwing up designs to my BrickShelf account, and browsing around to see, learn, and, in general, simply be in awe of the massive amount of quality designs from everyone. BrickShelf is easy, but there is a certain satisfaction to put together a “design package”. Another level of (hopefully) enhancing this hobby. A product worthy of historical record. Maybe this El Capitan design is worthy...maybe it isn’t-- That’s for all of you to decide.

I still love building, designing, and, most importantly, sharing ideas with one another. It’s very inspiring to see individual and club efforts continue to grow. To this, I thank Steve Barile and Kecia Hansen for fielding my many El Capitan design iterations; offering excellent criticism, inspiration, and suggestions. What was once just a kid playing with his LEGO in his bedroom, has become a global activity. Thanks!

And, thank you for checking out this El Capitan Hi-Level set design, I hope you enjoy it-- if you should wish to build it and can find the pieces necessary to build it!

later,

James Mathis

Re: Santa Fe El Capitan Hi-Level